• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

does anyone know if they put in the docks at any of the landings?

No first hand knowledge, but I'd be really surprised if they haven't been in for a couple weeks already.

Any reports? I did well pulling cranks in shallow water today. Boated 20. Mostly smaller ones. 2 over 20. 4-5 keepers that all went back. Fun day. Didn't see a ton of fish boated near me.

Got down to Yellow mid afternoon friday and had time to chase crappies ,,,Picked up a meal of crappie,,, and woke the next morning to perfect opener weather conditions ,,,,Did our usual milk run troll and were done fishing by 8:20 ,,,,Lots of pike to be had but about every third bite ended up being a walleye or a bonus crappie ,,,One of the better openers as far as weather,, wind and quality of fish

Yep, beautiful weather. Didn't spend much time chasing walleye, but got into a nice mess of crappies on Saturday. Not many in our camp came back with any walleyes.

DonBo, Do you live on Yellow lake? I got up there to fish but their boat was down. I should have brought mine, but best laid plans, and counting on others that don't do allot of fishing. Did manage a couple pike down river.

I was out on another local lake trolling Sunday morning. Caught 8 total from 7-12. Trolling flicker minnow. Biggest was 26". Overall it was a good weekend but it was a bit warm for me on opener!

Hi All-

Just a quick report from my boat to yours.

We had a great time fishing in great weather throughout the weekend with the family.

All 4 kids were able to catch fish. A mixture of Walleye, Northern and Musky. We were even able to keep a couple of Walleye.

We fished various hours of the day, from 9 am to 2 am, trolling floating Rapalas in 4-6 feet of water, mainly along the North and West shores and even a little along the South shore. They weren't jumping in the boat, but enough to keep the kids interested and excited to go back out for more!

Looking forward to a fun filled Summer of fishing on Yellow Lake!

Mixed success for us. Walleyes were tougher to come by, but we did find some really big crappies scattered around. For me personally, waaaaaaaaaaaay too many people on the water. I don't recall seeing that many boats ever on Yellow.

Even saw a drunken argument by the Lodge over fishing too close to each other. It got so heated they called the sherriff. Total nimrods. Not the sort of fishing I was looking for.

I also thought there were a lot of boats, but had nothing to compare it to as this was our first year out there for opener.

When was the argument breaking out near the Lodge? We were out at midnight - 2 am Saturday morning hanging out more on the west side, but could hear lots of noise coming from the Lodge. We just assumed it was one heck of a party going on from the Lodge and the boats gathered by the bridge.

Members of our party also had good luck with nice sized crappies over on the Little Yellow side. We didn't know how much fishing we'd get in this weekend due to work that needed to be done, so I never picked up any live bait for the weekend.

Quick question for the group. Is gas sold anywhere on the lake? We were wondering if Ike Waltons sold gas.

I'll be up there again this coming weekend. Hoping to get out there fishing for a bit between weekend projects.

Opener and Memorial weekend can be kinda nuts. As the summer goes on, you see far fewer people on the water. Thankfully, its not like last weekend often.

Nope, no gas on the lake. Ike's doesn't sell. Wild Bills in Webster sells pure premium and bait. Oakland Store also sells gas and bait at U and 35.

MNVikesFan - you on big or little??

In all my years on that lake never have I seen 1) that many boats and 2) such amazing weather for opener. I think that the nice weather and new three fish limit really drew a larger than average crowd on Yellow. Not good. There was waaayyyyy too many people out taking fish. Be interesting to see how these next few years go with the pressure that Yellow keeps getting. More and more every year...

Amazing weekend it was none the less! We did pretty good ourselves dragging jigs w/ fatheads off the breaks during the day and pulling shad raps up shallow after dark.

Words Of Advice: USE LEADERS!!! Way too many people lost cranks to northerns which can cause lots of harm. They can't eat and get very very skinny. I always use leaders. 44lb test wire leaders I make myself. The fish DO NOT CARE. Even pulling jigs I use a leader. Even caught crappies with leaders fishing walleyes. As a matter of fact the biggest walleyes I've caught on Yellow were on Jerkbaits fishing for muskies with 150lb Mono or wire leaders and 80lb braid. The fish do not know enough to care about what a leader is. They save you money, (rapalas are spendy!!) and they help the fish in the lake.

Good luck guys,

-Zander

Thank Perch. Good to know.

I've been to the Oakland Store a few times already. The guy behind the counter is always very helpful. We were just thinking for ease of refueling the boat, it'd be nice to have an option on the lake.

We are on the west side of Big Yellow only a mile down the road from the Yellow Lake lodge. I have yet to venture over to Little Yellow yet, but we did buy our fishing boat with the limited access to little yellow in mind, so I should be able to make it under the bridge with it.

I'm hoping to bring some crappie minnows up this coming weekend and make my way over there.

we had a great opener this year weather was perfect and we caught plenty of fish. we boated 12 eyes and kept 6 all between 17-18. we also caught 6 northern one 12 inch crappie and one 10 inch sunfish. my dad even boated his first ever yellow lake musky it was a great day on the water.

we were slip bobber fishing in 6-7 fow using shinners and leeches

Got back out on yellow for a few hours this morning,,,took a while to locate the target species but once we did it was a fish on every trolling pass ,,,not nearly the same number of boats as opener but still enough boats to keep one from following a gps milk run (Note to self never use the net or you will have boats on your 6 at all times) ,,,those small muskies sure have defined colors when they are little ,,we picked up Pike, Muskie, Walleye, and Crappie trolling today ,,,Boy the weeds sure came up over the past week

Words Of Advice: USE LEADERS!!! Way too many people lost cranks to northerns which can cause lots of harm. They can't eat and get very very skinny.

-Zander

I thought I should comment on this, It's not true. Here's a very interesting review of a study done in Canada on this exact subject, a really good read. Turns out a northern will expel a lure very quickly, even deeply engulfed lures do not stay in a northern for more than a few days. Here you go: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-ba...-lure-1.3054082

Any recent reports on Yellow from this week?

I will be up there for the long holiday weekend trying my best to coax a few bites. Figure on starting out trolling around to see if I can find where they are hiding. If that doesn't work, probably do some jig and minnow or snell and crawler and still stay somewhat mobile. Then grab a beverage and bobber up in the usual haunts.

I didn't realize it was Muskie opener this weekend, maybe I will throw some big feathery hooks around too, just for the fun of it.

Just wondering of anyone has been out and having any luck for Walleye lately. I know Crappies were doing good, but my guess is that bite has slowed lately. Any reports would be awesome!!

Well, I got out in between the showers and did a fair share of fishing.  I will say the morning bite for Walleye was definitely the best, although I didn't get out for a sundown fish at all.  I found an inside turn on the wind blown side of the lake, in 12'-14' of water, the Walleye were stacked in that spot.  The only way we could get them to bite though was with a moving bait, so we used the trolling motor to pass back and forth through the spot.  It was a tough bite but managed a few.  Throwing the big feathered lures didn't bring up any Musky, but saw some huge marks on the fish finder that had to be big Musky or Pike.  Hit a smaller lake just for run in the evenings, and the fish were biting all over the place, Northerns, Bass, Crappie, Sunfish, Perch, caught them all.  All in all, had a good weekend fishing in Burnett Co.

I gotta tell you, the fishing so far this year has been tough for me.  The crappies have not yet spawned, they can be found in 6-12 FOW about half way down. Gold hooks and fatheads have produced best for me, but that ain't saying much. All weekend, I kept only 10. That would be a poor morning on years past at this time of year.

The walleyes are mostly pretty scattered, but the best luck has been on leeches under bobbers in about 10 FOW. Lots of bluegills showing up now, and they are also taking these leeches. Fatheads still take a few, and trolling still works, but the weeds are making that presentation tougher every week.