• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Proposed walleye limit change?

What i'm saying is how can you limit how many people fish in this state when so much of this state depends on the revenue. You put permit areas in places and businesses go under. Your lucky, you get to fish by yourself in northern MN. But most of MN isnt like that. On the 1,000 acre lake i fish on opener i share it with 250-300 boats. Thats the reality of most of the states lakes. You cannot manage this states lakes by looking at just the northern reaches. You might get away with permit areas in the northern reaches of this state where boat traffic is next to zero. But then again if the boat traffic is zero why would permits need to be issued.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: james_walleye
Perch i didnt see anything about a slot. What i saw was the politician pushing a lower limit and moving up the opener. I may be wrong but slot limits never came up in this issue.

I may have misread it. I thought I read about openers, limits and slots in the same article, but maybe it was the reporter or someone else suggesting the slots, not the politician????

So has the opener date been moved up? I heard from a buddy that they wanted it to coincide with the SD border opener. Is this true? Wouldn't this affect the walleye spawning period? I'm not exactly sure when the spawning period is, but if this is the case, we'd be hurting the walleye populations even more.

Yeah when i brought up slots in this thread it was my thoughts. I didnt mean to mix the slots in with the moving up of the opener and lowering the limits. If slots are put on our lakes i want it done by the DNR for biological reasons. I don't want some politician deciding to make a push for it because of reasons that are rediculous.

I'm thinking that the limit should go to 4 and the slot should be only on the lakes that are managed that way. Most people go to fish, catching is just a bonus. Most people that fish more that two times a year would probably not keep a over 20" some fish to eat.

Not sure how they would write the regulation, but I would like having a 4 LIVE fish limit, but allow folks to keep 6 dressed fish to take home. People who travel a long distance and don't fish often like to take some frozen fish home. We are encouraging everyone who fishes our lake to release all fish over 18 inches, but that doesn't go over too well for someone who has caught few fish, but one of them happens to be a 7-8 pounder.