• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?Quality Rod Case?

Mike Stark

just wondering what a quality rod case is. i got a guide series case from GM and it fell apart in no time. i travel into the BWCA often, so i need a case that will protect my rods when they are tied into a dog sled. i am willing to pay a couple more bucks for something that is actually going to last.

thanks for you help.

mike

I have heard good things about the stone legacy bag or you can check out the Marcum RodPak. I picked one up a while back at Thorne Bros. It is pretty sweet. I have 4 rods in there, and I can fit my DSLR camera with a pro lens in the front pocket perfectly. It still has room for an H2O and a couple bait pucks if needed as well. They can be had for right around 40 bucks. Not a bad deal, and no durability issues as of yet.

I bought a $15 or $20 Cabelas bag a few months back, and hated it right away. It is a Croxton bag, but after using it and getting used to it, I really like it. It said it will hold 6 combos, but my 5 is pretty tight, but it protects my rods really well. If ever in there, it is black, green and has Cabelas in big letters on front.

I've had quite a few issues with Marcum ice-pacs - bad stitching, popped rivets and broken components. I would definitely NOT recommend one of them. I'm on my forth bag, the first three were defective out of the box and returned. One of the side straps on the fourth bag fell out of the stitching just the other day. It didn't tear out, it came out because only a teeny tiny amount of strap was sewn into the bag. The small amount of nylon strap frayed and fell out - the seam stitching is still intact.

I've got a Lakewood soft/hard ice rod case, it protects rods really well. One drawback is that it's not compartmentalized. When I use it, I slide the rods into golf club tubes to add further protection and keep them separated.

From all the positive responses regarding the Stone Legacy, must be a great bag.

LB

Sorry to hear about your issues Blueroof. I know several guys with the ice packs and haven't heard them complain about any stitching coming undone. Sounds like they must of had a batch with quality control issues if you've had a series of bad ones. So far my Rod Packs have held up great!

Marcum usually takes care of issues pretty well. Hoping they get your issues resolved.

I have had the Thorne Brothers rod case for about a month now, and I love it. I can put six to eight rods in the rod compartments, with the reel handles folded down. There is one side pocket long enough to hold one complete tip up. On the other side is two compartments, one longer than the other. These will hold three small jig boxes, platic bags, pliers, flash light, and a couple small spools of line.

Prior to this I had a Frabil hard side rod case. I like the Throne Brothers much better. Just ordered another one to put in the new Otter so I do not have to switch rods from shanty to shanty.

Harry

I have a case like the one mentioned previously from Cabelas, for now it suits my needs okay, but I will definitly be looking at the Otter Rod Case or the Stone Legacy one when I start to upgrade my combos and rods....I think a good hard sided is the way to go...

Originally Posted By: mstark83
just wondering what a quality rod case is. i got a guide series case from GM and it fell apart in no time.

I bought a couple of those and they are JUNK!!! mad.gif I'll never buy First Ice [PoorWordUsage] again!!! Sad part is, I could have shelled out a little more dough and gotten something ten times better! Just confirms the old saying "you get what you pay for".

Originally Posted By: blueroof
I've had quite a few issues with Marcum ice-pacs - bad stitching, popped rivets and broken components. I would definitely NOT recommend one of them.

Originally Posted By: Borch
I know several guys with the ice packs and haven't heard them complain about any stitching coming undone. Sounds like they must of had a batch with quality control issues if you've had a series of bad ones.

Marcum usually takes care of issues pretty well. Hoping they get your issues resolved.

I just got a response back from Marcum. They sent their entire stock of the bags back to the manufacturer because of faulty workmanship \:o , said the bags should be back on the market next season built better. Sounds like lots of them came back with defects.

LB

I have the Lakewood case as well and it's great lots of storage inside and out, camera, line, mantels, tackle,all kinds of stuff. this box has been beat and beat and beat inside of an otter seld at 40-50 mph across the worst terrain and it has really hung in there. never had a broken rod yet and it's just the right size. the only draw back is laker rods won't fit so I have to take special care of them.

I used and liked my Croixton bag for years, but it seems things would always get tangled or broken so I took the tips from FMers and switched to the Stone Leg Rev. and LOVE it. The middle compartment holds lots of stuff, small scoop, weeds, tip ups, ice cleats, etc. it really works well. I was a little nervous about putting the rods front to front, so when I started investing in Thorne Bros. rods this season ( I'm up to 3, soon to be 4 ) I purchased the blue rod sleeves. They slip over the rod and have a strap that goes around the reel. They work really slick. I had trouble with the Stone HSOforum working, so I ordered them from Nodak outdoors and had it in a day.