• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom Saver

Question

Does a transom saver help or hurt? I was thinking of buying one but I have heard they may damage the lower unit from the shock and vibration. I would appreciate any information or advice.
Thanks

4 answers to this question

They really do help on minimizing stress on the transom.

I have a 14 duck boat with a 15hp 4 stroke and my transom would literally be ruined without the transom saver. The only "damage" to the motor is the scratches on the lower unit where the device attaches to the motor. I do a lot of traveling in mud, dirt roads, sand/salt on the highway that's where the scratches come from. I could never see it damaging the internal parts of the lower unit!

I also installed a "Bracket Pro" on my larger boat for this very same motor (it's my kicker motor in the summer). It's amazing how much stress is on the transom of your boat with heavy motors attached, and these devices really work for the better IMHO.

I know of a couple folks with power trim who lost hydraulic fluid while on the road -- thus, lower unit damage because they didn't have a transom saver.

I use a Swivl-Eze transon saver with an internal shock spring on my 60hp Johnson. My brother has followed my rig down a washboard gravel road and could actually see the transon saver springing back and forth on the bumps to help cushion the shock. The only damage it has done to my motor is scratched off some paint where the pads make contact with the lower unit. Other than that, no problems.