• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rebuild or not?

Question

I have an '85 Evinrude 70hp that has the problem of bogging down and dying at full throttle. the mechanic pulled the head and said all three cylinders were "scuffed". he disconnected the oil injector and told me to mix the gas and oil myself. it will now run for 1-11/2 hours before the problem starts again, but, I cannot pull the kids in a tube, it will not run at full throttle. is it worth the effort and cost to rebuild this motor, or should I look at a new one. also, what are the pro's and con's of rebuilding? any idea what it might cost?

2 answers to this question

I had my 94 75hp mariner rebuilt this spring. What was supposed to be a $2400 deal turned into a $3700 bill!! My cylinders weren't even scored. If I had it to do again I would buy a four stroke and let the gas savings pay for the difference within the first year!!! Four strokes get four to five times better gas mileage, you don't have to buy 2-stroke oil at $18 a gallon. The list goes on!!