• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Awesome rod holders!!

Question

I'm not sure if this will make sense but here it goes. I saw these really innovative rod holders on a show this past winter. The problem is I don't know what they are called and I can't even find them at Cabela's.

The thing that makes them so special is how they hold and release the rod. They have two metal tabs which are connected, when you set the rod down it hits one tab causing the other to close over the rod and hold it in place. Then when a fish hits all you do is lift up and now you are free. It makes for no more messing around trying to get the rod out and set the hook, you just set it as you are lifting it strait up/out. Hopefully someone out there isn't in the dark like me and could help me find these. Thanks in advance!!

3 answers to this question

I have seen these rod holders, but never used them. I will try to find them and let you know where to look.

They do seem to be a good idea, I am currently using the Cabela's/Scotty rod holders, where the tube breaks away/upward to allow for a hook-set as you remove the rod, same idea - different materials.

Good Luck - I will ckeck back with any info I come up with.

Steve

I don't know the name of them, but I think Thorne Brothers in Fridely has these rod holders (low profile, metal, w/ release mechanism).

Gill,
Thorne Bros. sell Down East rod holders which employ a different mechanism that has the same concept in-mind as the ones I can't find. If the elusive ones that I am searching for don't turn up I will probably go with these.
Thanks for the help guys!