• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1700 or 1800 Lund Fisherman

tjsker

Question

I'm trying decide on which size Fisherman to get, the 1700 or 1800. I have a family of five, although only three or four will be in the boat at a time for serious fishing. All five will be in the boat for family type fishing activities. Is the 1700 big enough? Or is the extra size of the 1800 needed.

4 answers to this question

I picked up a Mr. Pike 17 last year. I regularly have the whole family (six of us) out fishing and have plenty of room. In fact we all spent 13 hours on the water this past Saturday.

The single counsel probably helps give me a little more room. I can't imagine you will notice a whole lot of difference. The layout of the boat also goes a long way in the amount of space you have.

Just some thoughts!

Go with the 1800 Fisherman. That is what I have and the extra space is needed. Even if you have 4 in your boat you will be glad you did. You will never say the 1800 is to big but I bet you would say the 1700 is to small occasionally. You will be happy with your choice. They are nice boats and give you a very smooth ride.ScottS

ScottS

I am curious, what size motor you have on your 1800? I have an 1800 that I got last summer, but I put my '84 Johnson 140Hp on it figuring I will upgrade in the future. I'm already wondering if I should upgrade now. I find that I don't get out of the hole very quickly. Also when it's windy, I have a pretty wet ride. Do you experience the wet ride also?

tjsker,
To reply to the original post, I would still go with the 1800 over the 1700. I usually go out with my family of five (kids 3, 5, and 7) and occasionally my dog. If your family is like mine, it's not always about fishing. It's during these times that the extra space is really useful. Just make sure you get enough motor. I'm thinking of either a 150 or 175 (it's rated for a 175). The only concerns with the 1800 are how much towing you will do, it's a big boat on the road!

Towing is not a majot factor between the 1700 & the 1800. I have towed both and they are both big boats. I have a 150 HP Yamaha. I can go about 50 and it jumps out of the hole. Unless you fish a lot of big water the 150 is enough. Rarely ever do we get wet in the boat and I fish a lot of big water. I would guess the motor has a lot to do with you getting wet. The hull design on the new lunds sure is sweet-Nice ride.

I am actually getting rid of mine at the end of the summer, it is a 2000 and 3 years is a long time for me to have anything. I am not sure what I am getting next but the 1800 fisherman is a great family/fishing boat.ScottS