• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking in a new motor.......... HELP!!!

wallter

Question

I have just purchased a new crestliner with an 80 h.p. Yamaha 4 stroke. I am looking for any and all tips on the best and/or quickest way to break in this motor??? This is the first time I have broken in a new motor.
Scared/Excited

------------------

2 answers to this question

If you keep track of running time, you are about to find out how long it is on the water when you seek to get 20 hours of break-in time. Don't know if that's what yours calls for, but 20 hrs used to be fairly common. For the smaller engines these days they are telling folks to run one break-in tank of 6 gallons.

The best advice I believe is to make certain you resist the urge to run wide open trottle and that you make certain you do not run at the same rpms for more than a few minutes at a time. Vary the speed to help all working parts adapt to their mechanical environment.

Have fun and take care of that new engine. It will return the favor.