• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jig Molds

AaronM

Question

2 answers to this question

Once you've found a source of lead, (try a plumbing shop for scrap lead) get an electric lead pot. The kind used by reloaders works just fine. A hand ladle and plumbers torch would also work but they are not very readily available any more. Use with very good ventilation, don't breathe lead fumes. Wear protective gloves and absolutely wear face and eye protection! Molten lead is hazardous. You'll have do deal with dross that forms on the top of the lead pot. Start by pouring lead into you're mold without hooks, it has to warm up before it will cast quality jigs. Recycle the hookless jig material. Once you've done that, cast away! Do a big enough batch to make the effort worthwhile. As I stated in another post, I prefer to buy my jigs already pre cast and avoid all this effort.

Look up a company by the name of Do-It molds, located somewhere in Iowa. They make the best molds I've used. Jann's Netcraft and Cabelas are good sources for hooks, tools and dressing materials. The powder paint is the easiest, cleanest, and fastest method that I've found to finish the jigheads. (be sure to finish the jigheads right after you pour them. If they oxidize, the finish wont stick as well)

Hydro