• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

75 merc-tilt&trim not working

Question

1995 75 merc. trim not working. i can get it to go up slow then it stops. batteries seem ok,could it be the motor that run tilt is going out.also, i had a past question about temp/speed for a humminbird 300tx. i get temp but speed isnt working. any help please. need to get back out and rip some lips.

4 answers to this question

I had the same problem with my 75hp Mariner and it was my trim motor that went bad. Seems like the seals leak after awhile and it fritzes out the motor. Mine went slow for a year or so before not working at all. You first would want to get a Chilton (sp?)manual for your motor at the library if you want to do it yourself. Then check to make sure power is going to the trim motor. You can use a trailer light tester and follow the wires. Here is where a manual is a good idea so you're testing the right wires. To make a long story short, I needed to buy a new trim motor (5 bills) and install it. I could not fix my old one. Luckily this happened first thing this year and I was able to fix it before the ice left. Good luck.

Check the pump to see if the bleeder valve has loosened up on you. My merc. did the same thing to me, I took it in and was ready to pay big bucks to get it fixed. Much to my surprise, my mechanic called me within a couple hours and said I could come and get it. Over time, all the bouncing around had loosened the thumb screw that you would open to manually lift your motor.

Your tilt and trim fluid could be low. Not sure how to go about checking it because I have never had that problem yet but this could be the problem with yours. When the tilt and trim goes through all the fluid it stops short because it has no more fluid to pump into the cylinders. I would image in time this could also ruin your pump. Good luck!

Jimmy