• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing 2007-2008

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: CNY Tim
Doug- Hey how did you guys make out up in the great white north?

We did decent on the same spot we left off at on Saturday once the darn pirates left. We bounced around in the am because the pirates were on the good spot, we finally ended up crowding them and the one guy got real bitchy with us so we moved away to avoid a fist fight between Doug and the old grouchy man. anyways

Doug's gf out fished him today \:o Doug and his family caught a bunch of nice bluegills and some nice callies don't know exact number but it was well over 20 gills and 10 crappies along with some of those dink perch. I caught about 12-15 Crappies between 8" and 11 1/4" and about 15-20 gills 7"-9" along with a 10" perch and some dinkers. It was snowing up there all day and the fishing was quite slow until about 3:30 the finally picked up. we fished 10:30 till 4:30. Doug kept a few for dinner and mine went back down the hole.

Great report guys, you gotta beat the pirates to the spot because there vexes can't handle it when you move in on em like that ;\)

It's 3:45 a.m. and I am reading this report wondering if I need to take off and fish this morning, hmmm. Well I had a meeting this a.m. and I could just say to heck with it. The prospect of kicking some pirate arse comes to mind which means the F-2 is going in the trap. \:D Ray where's Chet he carries a piece and attitude grin.gif noooooo forget him \:\/

I don't know what I'm going to do but I'll call you king if I head back up there, thanks for the report.

Tuzzy the jigs (not the blue highlighted ones) are in and the hats as well.

Good job guys. the pirates were back that doesn't suprise me it happens all over.They clean a spot out and on to the next they wiil get theirs some day.

Tim, what are you doing up at 3.45am did mama kick you out of bed grin.gif.You must have the hard water blues and have to scratch the Itch good luck guys if you go.

Well I was on my way but Amanda awoke with a 102 temp so gotta be here for her. Oh well that itch will have to wait ;\)

It's funny Todd you mention that, they are the same guys that want to know why there are no big fish left in the smaller lakes. confused.gif

Even when some one abides by the regs and only takes a limit everyday depending on the size of the lake it could take years to recover.

That's very true, Tim. Another problem we're facing on some of our lakes and ponds here is due to increased numbers of people fishing as well as those taking ANYTHING they catch. I know we'ver discussed this some. DEC is lagging way behind on enforcement for one and I know for a fact that those groups I speak of, they find the fines worth the risk. They feel the benefits out way the tiny fine and they get caught so rarely! One tactic I've seen employed on one of your favorite lakes, is taking Grama, Grampa, the wife and kids out so you can have a ton of tip ups out and 2 rods per each. I've seen them take fish smaller that the size of your palm. Make them into fish cakes, I'm told. Did anyone here of the guys caught netting on the West Canada during the "no fishing " period this year? NO. Why?! Guess what? Fines we're $100-125. More damages than that amount was surely done. It's up to us to help educate and protect.

On another note...Tim, talked to a guy from MN who's using Maki out there and loving them. Uses them on a small hair jog he makes and says it works fantastic. It's called T.H.E. Jig, eh goes by Crappie Keith. Jig's are 1/32, 1/64, 1/80 and 1/100. Gonna get a few to try. I'll pass some on to you if you'd like. Just give me an eval. Give me a call when you can.

Ray

Wait until ice out. The shores are lined shoulder to shoulder along the public access areas on the little Madison County lakes. These people are keeping EVERY fish, no matter the size, species, or number. There is NO respect for the regulations. And no matter what you say to them, they laugh at you. WHERE”S THE DEC? We called, and no one showed up. Wait until they get on the latest lake with public access, that should ruffle quite a few feathers!

Don't even get me started..... LOL

The worst thing the DEC did was put a ban on the sale of panfish, I never heard anyone complain when it was legal to catch and sell as many sunfish, crappie and perch that you wanted (except the people who didn't catch or know how to catch them). Now I do agree that a smaller body of water can get damaged from over harvesting but that's where the DEC needs to come in and put regualtions on the body of water and not whole state of NY. It's also in my opinion that lots of bodies of waters have been hurt because there isn't enough fish being taken out because of limits, not enough preditor fish to help substain a healthy adult fish population. I've never seen anything wrong with a person wanting to catch his limit of fish and turn it into cash so he can have extra cash in his pocket for future fishing trips. To be honest with you there isn't any good money in fishing anymore to help someone live off of it. As you can tell I'm an ex-pirate, I have no problem with someone following the rules and selling those fish that are sellable. I would agree there are some unfriendly PEOPLE out there when it comes to icefishing. If I'm catching them you're more then welcome to fish with me and my holes. Well I hope nobody looks down on me for my past and hope to share the water with some of you in the future.

Hey all, I noticed a post or two about tip-ups and some say yeah, and some say na...... some one even called them an anchor.....so i was looking around and noticed a few pics of a guy they called "tip-up timmy" now by the looks of this guy he may be shady, I mean it looks as if he's wearing "browns" gear.... shame shame...... anyway, thought these might bring a laugh to all or a tear to your eye, but for sure he won't let me stay in his office anymore.... sorry we couldn't resist the urge...... your pals CNYKyle and me!!

f_tip01m_bd09d31.jpg

the horror.......

f_tip02m_42811c8.jpg

how many of these things can i use???

Hey that "tip up timmy" guy you speak of looks familiar, i swear ive seen him around. Lets see, a Browns Fan and looks like hes enjoying his tip up fishing....his jiggin technique looks sloopy tho, cant be the guy im thinkin of!

Holy Cow that tipup timmy guy looks a little like Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinatti grin.gif He needs a taller bucket!

CNY Lee, I don't think they have banned the sale of panfish in NY except on ones that have a size limit like crappies. Personally, I wish they would put a total statewide ban on it because things have changed so much in the last 5 years and my reasons for complaining about it aren't because I can't catch fish. A few years ago not many people had flashers but now they are so common and it doesn't take too much skill anymore for a guy fishing everyday with electronics who's laid off or retired in the winter to really hurt a good sized lake. That's why lakes like Canadarago has the 25 perch limit and Saratoga has only a 15 sunfish limit and you know people are still abusing that and taking more than their limits. People with electronics are just killing these places and they aren't small lakes. It's hard to do it on a lake by lake basis either because people just aren't honest about where they are catching their fish from and guys are taking fish from Onondaga and the upper Hudson river and then selling them to unsuspecting buyers eek.gif Times have changed and if you ever fished Whitney Point in it's heyday back in the early 80's you know what I mean. Lake Champlain has no limit on perch and people still sell fish there but they are also taking overlimit buckets off Lake George which is close by, selling them and saying they caught them in Champlain which has no perch limit.

Thanks for the reply insurance guy. It's nice to be able to speak my mind here and not get bash from every angle. They might as well ban the sale of panfish though, there really isn't anyone around here (syracuse) to sell them to anymore. The last I heard there was a place in Rochester getting good $$ for bluegills and sunfish but they had to be 10" or bigger. \:o Not even worth the drive with gas prices to sell them even if you have 2 days limit to sell. (I believe you're only allowed 2 days limit on your possesion) I can see your point with new technology. I always wonder though why they set limits for panfish, what study was done to comfirm that it needed to be that way or was it just another one of those puplic hearings and results thing agian. (Like they are trying to do for the deer hunting and QDM). Don't even get me going on that either. LOL I think if someone wants to shoot a deer then shoot a deer. With today TV and Video's marketing nothing but big bucks (They have been pushing to shoot more does though the last couple of years) they are putting false hopes for the average hunter who doesn't have hundreds of acres of land to own/lease and manage it for trophy deer. I myself got caught up in the trophy buck rage until my little one put it best. He asked me "What makes a trophy buck" and my answer was without even think "A trophy is different for everyone, whether it's big or small". He really brought me back to reality with that question and made hunting fun for me again.

Here's a question for everyone, do you think there is more or less people icefishing now then there was 15 years ago?

I think this is the best fishing site on the web, and the best people to share opinions and have great discussions.

Sorry if spelling is bad, typing fast at work.

I leave my office at 3 p.m. to these yahoos to lock her up for me and they raid circa 1992 pictures of me on Delta. I guess I won't be telling you my fishing plans this week with the champ ReelEmIn. ;\)

What you think I was gonna let this slide? mad.gif

Jimmy I can see it from you but Kyle my partner... Inexcusable mad.gif

By the way I did catch a couple nice pike that day. grin.gif

Buddy is that you? Welcome aboard! Man I was wondering when you were gonna stop lurking and join the fray. Got any tip up pictures you can share to take the heat off me?

Bud is one hole cuttin mutha, give him lazer power auger and a full tank a fuel and he will turn any patch of ice to swiss cheese and bring the auger back empty. grin.gif Good to have you here Bud...