• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outboard pulling to the right

Question

I have a 16ft Bayliner runabout with a 90hp Force outboard, 1997. After using it for the first month in 1997, the boat has been pulling to the right, not just your normal
prop action- at any significant speed if you let go of the steering wheel it'll turn radically to the right and practically empty the boat. I have the little adjustable fin adjusted so that it is pointed to the right, so that if you're standing behind the motor the fin tail is to the left and the front point pointed to the right like this:
bow

stern
/
Somebody told me maybe there is some play in the motor mount bolts and the motor shifted during that first season ,if there is any play in the mounting holes. I can trim the engine and the pull does decrease, but at any amount of trim that decreases the pull, the boat always porpoises, rocks up and down with any wave action. Could it be in the steering cable mechanism? Any ideas?
Thank You
Steve Clark

2 answers to this question

Ridgeway, my little fin is favoring a right angle. It will pull hard to the right until I get her trimed out. Try tweeking the fin to the right. This works for me.
Good Luck...

I have a 16ft Bayliner runabout with a 90hp Force outboard, 1997. After using it for the first month in 1997, the boat has been pulling to the right, not just your normal
prop action- at any significant speed if you let go of the steering wheel it'll turn radically to the right and practically empty the boat. I have the little adjustable fin adjusted so that it is pointed to the right, so that if you're standing behind the motor the fin tail is to the left and the front point pointed to the right like this:
bow

stern
/
Somebody told me maybe there is some play in the motor mount bolts and the motor shifted during that first season ,if there is any play in the mounting holes. I can trim the engine and the pull does decrease, but at any amount of trim that decreases the pull, the boat always porpoises, rocks up and down with any wave action. Could it be in the steering cable mechanism? Any ideas?
Thank You
Steve Clark