• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guidewear: How to Care For

Seabass77

Question

7 answers to this question

I've been using some stuff called Sportwash that I found at WalMart in the sporting goods department. Been using it on most outdoors type items, including Gore-tex (and even the duck hunting stuff smelling of blood, wet lab and loonsh&t) and it works real well. It is a liquid that comes in a white bottle with an orange, white and blue label.

I just hang mine up to dry, and then it gets stuffed back into the sack, and then back into dry storage in the boat.

I have never given it a thought, but I guess this stuff could be washed? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Fish-n-Freak (edited 06-12-2002).]

A non-bleaching granular soap is best, some say do not use liquid detergents. Allow the powder soap to dissolve fully and then add the gear to the washer to avoid lumpy soap turd spots all over your gear.

Liquid detergents tend to remove more of the waterproofing treatment and you will need to re-treat them sooner, and more often. Eventually you will need to treat the GORE-TEX® gear so get the spray reproofing stuff called REVIVEX® when you have a chance.

After 4 or 5 washes the surface treatment is due for a spray down after the full drying process, then they are as good as new again.

Some say you can use the REVIVEX® spray as you steam iron them, but be VERY CAREFULL if you do try this, they can scorch, so be cautious.

I use an AMWAY powder soap product and then air dry the gear. You can dry them on warm or toss them in the dryer on cool to fluff up the insulated GORE-TEX® GUIDE WEAR a bit.

AVOID fabric softeners as it can diminish the waterproofing and some may discolor the fabric on certain colors of Guide Wear. GORE-TEX® suggests that fabric softeners will also diminish the free breathing characteristics of the GORE TECH fabric and diminish their performance.

You can find full directions at the GORE-TEX® web site, listed under care of GORE-TEX® products.

GORE-TEX®
http://www.gorefabrics.com/

Care of GORE-TEX® products by type.

WINDSTOPPER® SUPPRESCENT® OUTERWEAR

WASH
Machine-wash warm (104° F/40° C). Powder or liquid unscented detergent. No fabric softener.

DRY CLEAN
Not applicable.

IRON
Steam-iron warm.

BLEACH
Do not bleach.

DRY
Tumble-dry warm.

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
Follow garment manufacturer's instructions. Gore recommends REVIVEX® water and stain repellent for restoring the water repellent finish on WINDSTOPPER® shell fabrics.

STAIN REMOVAL
Use pre-wash treatment such as Shout or Spray 'n Wash. Follow the pre-wash manufacturer's instructions. Rinse well.

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=washing&sp-a=sp100162fe&sp-p=all&radio_2=sp1001b5 e8

For information on where to buy REVIVEX® Water and Stain Repellent and how to use it, call REVIVEX® at (800) 455-4184.

I hope this is of help to you.

Backwater Eddy.....><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-13-2002).]

There is a product called NIKWAX Techwash, that is specifically formulated for goretex and other high tech fabrics. It is available at many outdoor sports stores. Also their line of footgear care products is second to none for caring for leather, suade, and fabric boots and shoes. I would highly recommend something like this for any expensive piece of gear instead of normal detergents.