• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I just got back from a hunting trip in the south part of North Dakota. The duck hunting was the best it has been in years. There were so many big mallards around that we had the shooting of a life time. We were hunting in a corn field right next to big water. If you are heading to North Dakota anytime soon there are a lot of ducks in the area. I don’t think a lot of the northern birds are down yet but they will be soon. The lasted day of our hunt we starting seeing a lot of teal, so the ducks are on the move.

Good Luck to anyone going there. We are heading back in Mid November

CB cool.gif

Good we set up on a hillside they had been using for a few days. To be honest the smaller the spreads we used the better we did.. we did only set on the hillside one day though and had 204 snows out and 96 canadians mixed in.

We caught a break on our third day there the farmer we stayed with started to pull out a section of corn. He called to tell us that the geese where landing in the field as he was taking the corn out. We set up there the next morning and had a blast.

The one thing that we really where lacking was Mallards.

I thought for sure with the fresh pick corn they would come into our spread but the only duck shot that morning was a bill. ( the field butts up to a good sized lake)

All in all it was nice to be out hunting.

We ended up seeing 24 Pronghorns and we are not sure because of the distance away from us but we think a Mountain Lion.

Sifty

The flight is on boys from what I have seen or at least it is getting a good start. I was working in DL all week and there were really good numbers of duck etc around there. On my way home I saw thousands of snows, canadians, and even a pond with probably 100 swans in it. Typical deer hunting weekend and the flight should be going strong. Lots of ponds are freezing over. The fields look to be a pretty good place to head to. Lots of corn has come off the fields this last week.

Quote:

Lots of ponds are freezing over.

I would concur with iffwalleye's assesment as well. I drove from Bismarck back to Lisbon today and saw numerous flocks, however, every duck pond / slough was froze over. About the only water that wasn't was big water.

Get em while you can!

marine_man

With the cold and wind the geese were moving through Devils Lake today. But they werhe also really high and moving. Most of the smaller water has opened back up due to this weekend temps and the wind. So you should probably be able to pretty much go anywhere you choose to.

Hey All. Well we just got back from our last trip out to North Dakota this year for ducks. It started off good by shooting a few good sizes birds (mallards) the first morning we were out there in a corn field. But after that we had to really work for the birds we got. We ended up shooting around 50 green heads in 5 days. It was a good trip but the birds would not decoy in at all. I think it would of help a lot if we had more ground mallard decoys then we did. There were a lot of birds in the area that were sitting on big open water. We didn’t try to hunt them tell the last day but by then they had moved on. They we moving that for sure you could tell they were migrating. It was a good trip but the birds are sure on the move to South Dakota from what we seen. There we big ducks in the area northern birds for sure and they were flying high in the sky and bye the thousands. A good trip and know its time to spend some more money on some ground mallard decoys.

Good Luck to all… cool.gif

CB