• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchor choice?

slotfish

Question

9 answers to this question

Best all around anchor for a bigger boat is a water spike..the long snout will lodge in the rocks, a light pull opposite direction with the motor releases it easily...If you're fishing in rock regularly add a couple feet of heavy chain to the anchor then tie on with clasp,,this keeps sharp[ rock edges from severing your rope,,

I have had good luck with the water spike as well. It is lightweight, and seems to hold in the toughest conditions when my other anchors won't. It also very easy to pull back up out of the water.

The water spike is my choice as well. I went with the 15# anchor that is rated for pontoons and other HUGE boats, mine is a 20' fishing boat, and I have held it still on some of the biggest waves Leech and MilleLacs could ever stir up.

Another option, is a new anchor, can't remember the name, but if you see it you will know -- It is kind of a combination between the water spike and D-man's River Anchor, it has a large center weight, with 5 "crow-bar" type cleats coming out of the bottom. It also has the sliding ring to pull it out of rocks.

Good luck

Slotfish,

You can get them at Gander Mountain and I think they are on sale right now.

I opted for the digger anchor. A little more money but it seems smaller and more compact. I also picked that one up at Gander in Bloomington.

With either you will be happy but remember you need lots of rope for either to secure. The digger says 5 ft of rope for every 1ft of depth. (10 ft water = 50 ft rope).

How well does the water spike hold in marl/clay bottoms? I fish over a marl/clay bottom most of the time and have a heck of a time getting my anchor to hold when the wind blows.