• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Columbia Fall Walleye Info

Hey Guys, Im headed out to the boardman area last week of October for a 4 day walleye trip. My buddy and I usually fish steelies, but are going to fish walleye's instead this year. I was curious if anyone has any insight into possible fall patterns in this area, no spots, just patterns and ideas. We are going to try spinners and cranks during the day and possibly try some night fishing with cranks. It will be our first time trying the fall bite out, any info would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.....

Dave

smile.gif

Sorry Dave, I haven't fished the Columbia so can't offer any suggestions. The walleye were still biting in the north end of Banks Lake last weekend though, if you're still looking for a place to go you might try there. They were pretty deep, 70-100 feet down, they're probably pretty deep in the Columbia now too.

I'd like to hear how the boardman trip went.

Good luck!

It's been pretty slow lately on the Columbia for walleye. Went out last weekend on the full moon and fished from about 6:00 to 10:00 trolling crankbaits near Umatilla and never even had a hit. Might try again this weekend. Still waiting for that "hot fall bite", but haven't seen evidence of it yet!

Ok so i'm just a little bit intrigued by the walleyes out west on the Columbia. I usually take a trip too Dogtooth Lake Ontario and catching a at least one 28" has been the norm for everyone that goes. One guy has 2 over 30". I'd be curious too know what might be the best time of year too look into a trip out west and i'd like too know what the "average" day might look like. We arent interested in numbers. We like too hawghunt on our trips. I know 12-15 lb fish are fairly common. In a weeks time of hard fishing what is the likelyhood of coming across fish like this? Thanks for any input!

Generally in March and February you can start getting some real nice fish in the stretch from below McNary dam (Umatilla, OR) down to Boardman, OR. You may not get big numbers per day, but big fish are pretty common that time of year (10+ lbs. and up). After the spawn it turns around and you start getting the numbers, but the 10 lb. fish and up are much fewer and farther between. My neighbor and his boy went out with a guide on that same stretch a couple years ago and both of them boated fish that went 17+ lbs. That's pretty incredible and probably not the norm, but they're in there.