Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delmuts

Boat/Motor Maintenance

3 posts in this topic

depend on how much you use the boat. if it is new then the lower unit should be good for a while. if it is used i would suggest changing the oil just to be sure. check it for clearity( if it is a milky colored then you have water in the oil)don't be shocked if you have fine shavings on the plug. anything other than fine shavings, not a good thing .i only change my oil once a year, but don't get to use mine much. give it grease once a year ,pull the prop off after several times of use.( this is to check for any fishing line that may have gotten around the shaft. not good for the seals. )i change plugs and fuel filter once a year. if you contact the manufacturer they may send you a manual free. hope this helps a little. del

I picked up a Fishhawk 1750 with a 115 Johnson last year. This is my first boat and I am not sure on what needs to be done as far as maintenance goes. I've taken it in to get the ports tuned after the first 20 hours on the motor, but that is about it. I just read a post where a fella mentioned that he changed his lower unit oil 3 times so far this year and got a little scared that I am not maintaining my motor well enough. What types of maintenance should I be doing and how often is recommended???

Capt'nJosh

OMC used to supply owner's manuals with all the recommended service guidelines. Since I believe mechanical equipment should be as reliable as possible (especially since I've put so much time in on Lake Michigan) I let my dealer handle the schedule -- he is one I know and trust.

For a quick check on lower unit, however, it is easy enough to open for a couple drops and check color and clarity of the fluid. If it is clean and clear you are OK. If it is milky or "muddy," you'd better change it.

I believe, too, the most critical period is winter. Proper winterization service can add years to motor life.