• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat/Motor Maintenance

delmuts

Question

I picked up a Fishhawk 1750 with a 115 Johnson last year. This is my first boat and I am not sure on what needs to be done as far as maintenance goes. I've taken it in to get the ports tuned after the first 20 hours on the motor, but that is about it. I just read a post where a fella mentioned that he changed his lower unit oil 3 times so far this year and got a little scared that I am not maintaining my motor well enough. What types of maintenance should I be doing and how often is recommended???

Capt'nJosh

2 answers to this question

I picked up a Fishhawk 1750 with a 115 Johnson last year. This is my first boat and I am not sure on what needs to be done as far as maintenance goes. I've taken it in to get the ports tuned after the first 20 hours on the motor, but that is about it. I just read a post where a fella mentioned that he changed his lower unit oil 3 times so far this year and got a little scared that I am not maintaining my motor well enough. What types of maintenance should I be doing and how often is recommended???

Capt'nJosh

OMC used to supply owner's manuals with all the recommended service guidelines. Since I believe mechanical equipment should be as reliable as possible (especially since I've put so much time in on Lake Michigan) I let my dealer handle the schedule -- he is one I know and trust.

For a quick check on lower unit, however, it is easy enough to open for a couple drops and check color and clarity of the fluid. If it is clean and clear you are OK. If it is milky or "muddy," you'd better change it.

I believe, too, the most critical period is winter. Proper winterization service can add years to motor life.