• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pontoon input??

cluelessfisherman

Question

Hello everyone,

I am asking all of you for information about pontoon boats for my parents. They are looking to purchase one for spring. They were wondering what type/style/brand you suggest and what features you would include?! They have looked at a few already: Weeres, Playbouy, and Palm Beach. They were thinking a 24 foot. They plan on using it both for fishing and entertaining. Any input would be very helpful.
Thanks everyone,

Clueless - -

6 answers to this question

I own a Weeres 20 footer. My wife and four children love it, we all can fish with out stepping on each other. Do your parents live on a lake or will they be trailering the pontoon? I trailer my 'toon and it can be "interesting" on the open road. I picked Weeres because they seemed to have the best resale value down the road. After the kids leave I might downsize, so I wanted the most back from my investment. If you have any specific question just ask and I'll try to answer!

I just purchased a Misty Harbor Fish N Ski this past summer. It's different from most pontoon boats though, the bottom of each pontoon is concave. I have a 150hp on it, and it'll cruise in the upper 50mph range. Kind of a cool sight seeing a pontoon boat going across the lake at that speed. It's great to fish out of, and handles rough water like you wouldn't believe. It's probably not something your parents would want, but it's nice to have the speed when you actually are trying to get somewhere.

Thanks for the input guys.

ssendek - my folks live on a lake but do plan on traveling to many others which require trailering. So of course it is my truck that is volunteered to do the towing.
Do you know where we would be able to find more information on Weeres? What features do you have or don't have that you think would be good?

rivverboy - The whole concave pontoon concept sounds interesting. Any ideas on where to get info on those?

To all, What would you suggest for motor size for a 24 footer? also johnson, merc, evinrude etc......
Any input would be great.

Does anyone have any input in the tri-toons??

This is the first time anyone in our family has been in the market for a boat so we have no clue as to what to look for in a boat.

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Clueless - -

I am not a big user myself, but do have access to two up north. The one has a 25, or 28 hp motor, and is really nice. The other has a 70 and man does it go. You can pull skiers and the such,,the drawback is has is its speed. It trolls very fast(i know they make the flapper plate or drift bags) but just stock, you cant hardly troll for northerns with it. I would ask i guess what speed do they want to go? For fishing perhaps a smaller motor would be good, and a little better economy? Maybe the efi or 4 stroke models troll down better? Good luck

Old Bob Propst a walleye guide & guru from SD prefers the pontoon for walleye trolling, and especially bottom bouncers.

He has guided for a long time with one, an may be still? One thing he found to be a key control method is a drift sock, or two. Backtrolling also is a lot dryer in a pontoon even on a windy day.

I use one at our family cabin each year an find it fun but a bit of a transition from my usual rig's, nice change an fun with kid's.

There are also new hull designs out that are more on the line of a tri-hull that have some real get up and go. The old pontoon style rig is still a favorite of long time lake rat's due to there low maintenance an flexibility of use.

I seen some very nice Leasure Island brand pontoons traded last fall at Don's Sportland in Breckenridge MN. May be a good deal to be had it you beat the spring rush? Frank I have found is easy to deal with. If you do check them out tell Frank "Backwater Eddy" sent ya, he may be in the mood to do a better deal.

I hope this is of some help to you.

BE....><ND>

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
"ED ON THE RED"
1-701-671-3079

Clueless,

My pontoon is a basic model, nothing special. I added some after market fishing seats up front and some rod holders. I have a 35 horse motor on the back. I was told by people who know boats that most pontoons don't need that much power unless you know you will be pulling a skiier. If you want speed then look at the tritoons. My pontoon is rated for a 90 but since pontoon never "get on plane" and I wasn't looking for speed I went with a nice 35 to push my barge around. I get good speed but it's not blinding! grin.gif
I do trailor my toon all the time. I would suggest getting the bunk style trailer not the sissor style. The tires are farther apart on the bunk and it is more stable on the open road.

You can find more info on Weeres pontoons at http://www.weeres.com

Good luck