• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24 Volt trolling motor system

Question

I bought a new trolling motor and I have to switch from a 12 volt to 24 volt system. Is this going to be a major process? How do you link the batteries? Does the wiring to do this come with the motor? Anything I need to watch out for in doing this? Thanks in advance, ScottS

7 answers to this question

Do you have your owner's manual for the boat? It will tell you in there. I know, those wires are confusing! I must have 8 different wires in my boat. I am still on the old 12 volt system, so I can't help you. They should be color coded and the manual should tell you.

ScottS,
It is actually pretty easy. rolleyes.gif

As long as you know which wires at the existing battery belong to your trolling motor? You will need to add the second battery and connect it's (-) terminal to the (+) on your existing battery. Then connect your (+) wire from the (24V) trolling motor to the (+) terminal on the second battery.

I have done a lot of work on my boat, adding and changing things, the most important thing is to not touch something between the (+) and (-) posts because it does cause a fire. grin.gif

"Will work for Beer!"
Steve

So, I am connecting the positive from my existing battery to the negative of the new battery?

And the trolling motor is connected to the negative of the existing battery and the positive of the new battery? If I read that correctly, I think that is what you were saying.ScottS

Scott, yes that is what he is saying. Do you have an e-mail address I can send something to. It may make it easier for you to see both a 2-battery 12V system and a 2-battery 24V system.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 06-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 06-27-2002).]

Thanks guys! It makes sense now. How about my onboard charger. Will I still be able to connect that to each battery in the traditional fashion?

Grabs, [email protected]
Anything you have that can help would be appreciated.ScottS

THe batteries should be connected as follows

+ from battery 1 to - of battery 2.
- from battery 1 to - of trolling motor.
+ from battery 2 to + of trolling motor.

(just like using AA batteries, + buts against - of next battery)

The trolling motor plug in the boat usually does the connecting for you. If you have the manual for the plugin your gonna use, it will tell you where to connect the four wires from the two batteries and the plug itself will do the wire crossing.

The charger should be connected to each battery separately. A two bank charger will have two sets of wires.... + to + and minus to minus for each battery.

------------------

\\ ----\\---
\\/ ( o \
//\ /
// ---//----
Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!