• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Comp Props ????

Johnsonator

Question

4 answers to this question

For what it's worth, I purchased a Comp Prop from Cabela's a couple years ago for my 60hp Johnson. It was a 4 blade unit where my original aluminium was a 3 blade. The Comp Prop was out of balance and shook the motor so bad over 1/2 throttle that I had a hard time hanging on to it. I e-mailed the company and they thought that was strange and offered to exchange the prop if I sent it back to them. Instead I just returned it to Cabela's and found a used aluminium for a spare unit.

I tried one of these on my river rig with a 20 merc.I was not impressed.You lose a little top end speed and if it nicks anything the prop shatters.It may be cheaper to get an extra prop and repair when you ding one up.

My experience with the Comp prop has been positive, I bought one for a spare in case I wrecked the OEM aluminum when I went on a trip one time. I put the prop on just to try it out and now it is the prop I use 90% of the time.

I'm using it on a 16' Sylvan Pro Select with a 90 Merc. It is the same pitch as the aluminum and runs roughly the same MPH but I think the boat handles much better and runs out a bit smoother with the 4-blade Comp prop. Also, there seems to be less torque in the steering with the 4-blade prop.

It is true that the Comp prop does not run as fast as my big-dollar stainless prop, but
then I had no expectation that it would...

I had the same experience that Whoaru99 had, bought one for a spare, tried it and left it on because my boat preformed much, much better with the comp prop than the aluminum prop (about the same top end but much quicker planing, able to plane at slower speeds and much better full load performance).

The comp prop is much tougher than I thought it would be. I have hit bottom and rocks while driving my boat on the trailer and have yet to shatter the prop, infact I can bearly see signs of impact. I would have had to rebuild an aluminum prop a couple of times by now. I haven't hit anything at high speeds yet so I do carry a spare.

I think the comp prop is a good alternative to aluminum and think the performance is better than aluminum but not as good as s.steel. Plus you can buy one for about the price of a rebuild, the high speed prop shattering is a bit of a concern though.

Just my .02 cents