• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need for speed

Question

i have a lund pro angler (i think) its a 17' boat with a walk through windshield and a 90 hp johnson (rated for a max of 115hp). Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas to make it a little faster?? thanks for any tips.
-kyle

8 answers to this question

Kyle
You may be able to go to a higher numbered pitch prop but check with a dealer/mech. first. A stainless steel prop may give you a little more speed also.

i think im getting about 32-35 mph. i wish i could buy like a 115 yammy or a honda but i just dont have the money. any other tips??

Go on a diet.

Top speed of that boat with a 90 on it is probably 38-40 mph. What are you getting now??

------------------
-------------------------
BASS SEASON IS UPON US.
Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy.
-------------------------

other than playing with props or lightening up the boat, your are farily limmitted to what you can do with out spending money for more power . you may gain a little here or there,but any great improvement will get exspensive. del

I have a very similar boat & motor, 90 HP Johnson on a 17.5' deep V Lowe, both 2002. The motor came with a 14X17 alum prop, and went 42 MPH according to GPS. Wide open throttle was exactly 5500 RPM. I wanted a more durable prop and found a rebuilt 13X19 SST (looks liked new to me) which pushes the boat at 45.6 mph, and dropped the RPM's to 5200 WOT.

I was a little concerned that the lower WOT may be damaging to the motor, I was reading conflicting things on the internet about such a reduction. In any case I went to my dealer and we looked up the specs on the motor and they said that the WOT range for this motor is 4500-5500 RPM, and "it is suggested that you operate the motor in the middle of this range at WOT" so I thnk I'm in good shape.

Just offered this info FYI since it is a very similar setup. I'm sure your Lund is heavier, but my boat is not a lightweight, fully decked, 3 batteries, 27 gal tank, tons of gear, etc., and I myself am no french poodle sizewise.

Find a dealer who will let you play with some of his props, and make sure you have it trimmed properly and see what happens... Good luck.

I wouldn't do it. Even if you buy a 115hp, your increase will be approx 5 to 8 mph. I wouldn't spend a fortune just to increase few more miles.

Val