• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum boat scratch repair

wastewaterguru

Question

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to repair/repaint some scratches on my 2001 Lund Fisherman. Will the factory touchup paint work alright?

My experience with cars tells me the touch up paint typically doesn't match.....

Since it's an aluminum boat rust isn't an issue so I'm not gonna put a crappy paint job on it just to cover the scratches.

Do you guys know anyone in the cities that'll do a good job professional for a reasonable price?

I probably won't get the whole thing repainted.....it is a boat afterall, but I'd like to know what the options are.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

10 answers to this question

I feel your pain WWG. Got a new Crestliner Fish Hawk last year. Got windy one night while I had it tied to the dock and my bumper came untide. My brand new boat scraped against the dock until I woke up the next morning. Needless to say, I could use a paint job, new decals and a few dents pulled. frown.gif Anyone know a good boat repair shop???

Capt'nJosh

WWG, your right in thinking that touch up paint doesn't usually match,especially metallic colors. It's because of the way the paint is applied. Spraying and brush touching the same paint will give you two different colors most of the time. If the scratch is small,touch up paint will do a good enough job to pass. Anything bigger than a couple of inches,the mismatch becomes obvious.

To do a good job the scratches/dents need to be repaired and if the area is small enough a spot refinish can be done. The more damage, the bigger the repair area, the tougher it is to spot in and make it look good. Sometimes a complete refinish is needed. I know a couple of good painters that work on the side that could help you out. One out of cottage grove and another in a northern suburb.
Send me an email [email protected] if your interested.

Fishing is Life

THanks for the posts guys.

I had the boat out again last night and the scratches aren't bad but saddening.

Everytime I go to a new body of water I put another ding of some kind on the boat. I figure if I go to 10 or 15 new lakes each year.....the boat will be worth about $0.49 at the end of ten years.

Anyone know where I can get some titanium plating for the side walls?

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

You should be able to use the touch up paint and get a decent job done. You will have to buff the new paint and the surrounding area to blend the new with the old. Just be sure not to buff it while it's still wet!! Good luck.

Hey wastewater let me know when your ready to sell I think the price is right and and boats with a few dings have more character and catch mor fish.

Chucker,

Well I don't think I'll be selling it quite yet. I couldn't afford to buy another one. I think at this point I still owe more than its worth. Plus this particular boat has some telepathic or magnetic properties that seems to really bring 'em in. grin.gif

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

The general rule of thumb that I go by for fixing scratches in my detail shop is that if you can hook them with your fingernail they are to deep to polish out. Sometimes you can get a little rubbing compound and polish the scratch with a wheel and actually polish the bottom of the scratch and it will disappear. Another way to make them less noticeable is to color the scratch with a magic marker,trust me it works, they will still be there but your eye will not pick them up.