Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vikes40for60

Trolling Motor Installation

11 posts in this topic

I am attempting to add a second trolling motor to my Crestliner SuperHawk and want to make sure it works correctly. Currently I have a bow mount 24V MinnKota connected to a pair of 12V Batteries and a 12V On Board Charger. The connections at the batteries seem to be "parallel" yet the 4 wire plug seems to be configured in series. What is the best way to run new wiring for a Minnkota Vantage in the rear. I want to be able to use both trollin motors in the same trip, come home, plug in the charger and go again? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Either respond or send me an e-mail. Having a conversation on the phone would also be helpful. Thanks in advance. dolson84@hotmail.com

To get 24 volts the two existing batteries are in series.
Plus from batt 1 to Tmotor+
Minus from batt 1 to plus of batt 2
Minus from batt 2 to Tmotor-

Leads from charger should go to each battery separately.

All you need to do to wire the second 12v trolling motor is......

Run new wire from plus of Batt1 to Tmotor2+
and minus from Batt1 to Tmotor2-.
(good option would be to run another lead from battery2+ and the lead from the battery1+ to a two position switch. Both battery grounds tied together and run to the tmotor2 ground. This allows you to switch between batteries for the 12v motor.)

24V motor......same as you have

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Whoa! Now I am way confused.

The current configuration for the 24v Bow Mount Trolling motor is as follows:
Batt1 + to Trolling motor receptacle
Batt1 - to Trolling motor receptacle
Batt2 + to Trolling motor receptacle
Batt2 - to Trolling motor receptacle

I have made an assumption that the series is occuring at the plug in receptacle. Is that not correct?

I was told by a local dealer to run 4 wires (same as above) from the batteries to the rear of the boat and install a 4 wire female receptacle. Then the series should happen at the male receptacle? Were they way off base?

My big fear is to set this up and burn out the trolling motor with the incorrect installation. Replacing a new Minnkota 24V Vantage would be real tough.

Forget everything if the other motor is 24v also. Yes run all four wires to a new plug in the rear of the boat and make sure the plug is wired the same as the front one. Check the diagram on the instruction for the Vantage and chack with a voltmeter that you have the 24 volts where you're supposed to BEFORE you connect the trolling motor.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Thanks John. What I have thus far is a 4 wire female receptacle and a 3 wire male receptacle. The vantage is unique cause it runs the motor as a 24V and the Lift (motor up/down) as a 12 V. The third line on the male receptacle should suffice. My last question is: Do I have to convert any wiring to make sure these run in series at the plug?

Does the Vantage come with a wiring diagram?

It should be set up such that the conversions are done in the three wire plug.

4 wires in (+12,+12,ground,ground)
3 wires out (+24, +12, ground)

I'd double check unless its obvious on the plug or the directions.

My cell# is 651-269-0170.....
I'm in Prior Lake so I'm not too far if you want some help.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-21-2002).]

John -

Vantage is arriving this week and I will let you know if their are any diagrams that come with it. I looked on the HSOforum and didnt find any. :-(

If I need assistance (as you can tell, I wiLL), i will give you a call. Thanks for the help.

I want to get this bad boy installed and ready for the weekend. So I am doing some leg work up front. My turn to go to my parents place on Mille Lacs. Hopefully I can pound the walleye like you did last week.

If the wind is anything like it was last weekend.....you're gonna need both of the trolling motors. grin.gif

It shouldn't be very hard to install. I think a visual inspection of the plug on the Vantage should answer the problem.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Your 24v Vantage will have three wires coming from it Red-24v Yellow-12v and Black-grnd. Depending on what plug in your boat has on it. If it is a Rig-rite there are three wires Orange-24v Red-12v and Black-grnd. Marinco take off the black back cover, on the clear plastic it is marked 24-12 and -, these are the two most common plugs used. They are all internally jumpered to provide both 12 and 24 volts, so the four wires to the plug are correct.

Rob

Your 24v Vantage will have three wires coming from it Red-24v Yellow-12v and Black-grnd. Depending on what plug in your boat has on it. If it is a Rig-rite there are three wires Orange-24v Red-12v and Black-grnd. Marinco take off the black back cover, on the clear plastic it is marked 24-12 and -, these are the two most common plugs used. They are all internally jumpered to provide both 12 and 24 volts, so the four wires to the plug are correct.

Rob

Rob