• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Eye Spoons? other Spoons?

Basscaster

Question

A friend just gave me 2 Red Eye Spoonsand a fishtrap spoon.I know nothing about these Spoons or anything on Spoon fishing? The red eye has a red glass eye in the top of the spoon.Are these good spoons to fish with and how would you fish these? I also got a fishtrap - this looks like a gold johnson silver minnow with a weed guard and when the fish hits it the treble hook releases.Whats your opinion on this lure or should I just stick with a johnson Spoon? Any spoon recommendations for Leech Lake in june would also be appreciated.Can you troll with the red eye with a leech on the treble.Signed Confused but eager to find out. Thanks, Roy

4 answers to this question

Basscaster,
The Redeye is a good trolling spoon. It spins on a horizontal axis and would probably work well tipped with a leech or minnow. For relatively shallow water (10' or less) with weeds I like to use the cheap lighter spoons that don't sink as fast as the more expensive spoons. The ligher spoons don't catch as many weeds and the fish seem to like them just fine.

The red eye spoon is the classic example of how a lure will catch a fisherman and never a fish! wink.gif (in my humble opinion).

I usually use them in the thickest weeds I can find and hope to lose 'em. I think I have one left taking up space in the box but hopefully will get rid of the darn thing sometime this summer.

Polar Bear

The Red Eye is a great lure for pike, and in the magnum size it also works well for muskies. The larger ones have a dual hook up front, and a treble hook trailing. Take the dual hook off -- it's unnecessary and adds nothing to the action. Dress the Red Eye with an Uncle Josh bass strip (pork rind) in red & white. Super pike killer.

The fishtrap you can keep. I've caught fish on them in Canada, but that's in water where even a table spoon will score.

Incidentally, Red Eye makes an outstanding Lake Michigan trolling spoon -- Evil Eye.

Good luck.