• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS positioning

Rainman

Question

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is the way that a GPS is supposed to work. When I am trolling around 2mph it reads my position just fine (crankbait speed). But when I slow down to a crawl (finesse lindy rigging) it does not tell me that I have moved at all, even though I have moved over 40+ yards away from my mark. Is this right? I just bought it this last winter at a sportshow from Reeds Sporting Goods. It's brand new. Should I ask for my money back? Any information would be very helpful. THANKS!!!

Rainman

3 answers to this question

Rainman-
Check your trail options. Is it tracking by time or distance?? What is the tracking update settings, sec? min? 1/10th of a mi? or 1 mi? No matter if time or distance is selected, if the update value is too great it won't report your location at low speeds accurately.

GPS's work by change in position. When you barely move, i.e. drifting, add to that GPS inaccuracies, it won't show up on your screen exactly correct. That's why when you are trolling at 2mph you make nice little trails all over your screen that are continuous, where if you are bumping along with a Lindy it jumps 30 ft this way, 30 ft. that way, etc.

Lmitout thanks for the information but I am sending it back anyway. I had and tried all that stuff you mentioned, it didn't help. My hand held works better than that.Thanks anyway!!

Rainman