• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which marine radio to buy?

Kingfisher

Question

Plan on going to Cabela's tomorrow to buy a marine band radio and antenna to use mainly on Lake Of The Woods, to be mounted on a Lund 1890 pro-v tiller, any advise on short notice would be very much appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Raytheon has a fine waterproof radio for about $160. I don't remember model number, but Cabela's has them in stock.

I've owned Uniden, Shakespeare, and Raytheon, but the Ray is the only one actually waterproof (not moisture resistant, or some other claim).

No matter the radio, however, but certain to match it with a good quality glass antenna. Shakespeare is probably the biggest name in this area -- don't skimp -- no radio can be top quality without a good antenna.

Clayton; Thanks for taking the time to reply to my inquiry, the product manager at Cabela's agreed that the Raymarine radio was a very trouble free unit, so bought the Ray45, and a good 8' Shakespeare glass antenna. Thanks again for your help.

I hope you get many years of good use out of it. For me, the 30-plus years fishing Lake Michigan impressed upon me the importance of a good marine radio. I rank it as top among safety equipment items.

Clayton