Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slotfish

Sizzling battery

13 posts in this topic

While charging my battery for the opener, I noticed that after an hour or so on the charger, there seemed to be a boiling/sizzling sound coming from the battery. It is a newer battery and the clamps were on the proper terminals and there was water in the cells. What gives?
Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like its getting too hot, what amp charger were you using? What size is the battery

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 05-06-2002).]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a 12 amp charger that even has a label that states "marine battery charger." The battery is the full sized, tear your arm off
kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many amps are you charging the battery at? You're only supposed to trickle charge marine batteries(I thought?) I always charge mine on the 2 amp setting. The battery probably is getting too hot. Maybe I'm just crazy but thats the way I have always done and been told to do it. makes sense doesn't it? The faster you charge a battery the faster its gonna wear out. I would just try it on the 2 amp setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just called bateries plus and the guy there said that a small amount of sizzling is normal. (What?) He was quite confident in his wisdom- so we'll see. I just don't want to end up looking like Freddy Krueger
over here! Then Jesse would not even aknowledge me at Rainy this weekend.
Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think being stuck on opener with a bunk battery would be worse. I guess its all who you talk to. The only time i have heard a battery sizzle is when it was too hot from being over charged. Are you checking the voltage and making sure your not over charging it?

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is normal for a flooded lead acid battery to sizzle when charging.

It does not matter what amp rate you are charging your batteries. The amp rate will help you deterimine how much time you re-charge. Most marine chargers are 10-15 amps with a lesser amp charge once the voltage gets to be around 14.5 volts to finish off the charge depending on the particular brand. A charger that puts out 2 amps per will take 5 times longer to get your battery to the same state of charge versus a 10 amp charger.

Automotive chargers are not designed to give the deep charge marine batteries require. Car batteries and marine starting batteries are designed to give a massive jolt of electricity to turn the starter motor and recover quickly to give another massive jolt. Marine batteries (deep cycle)are designed to give a longer duration deeper discharge.

Marine batteries will take a 14.5 volt charge. The alternator on your boat motor will charge at 14.5 volts. A fully charged battery will hold at 12.5 volts.

A good quality on-board charger will not overcharge your battery and most can be left under power for days on end. I keep mine plugged in all the time during the season.

I also went to Trolling Thunder batteries. I have not taken them out of the boat for four years. I give my dealers the batteries that come with my new boats and re-mount the Trolling Thunders in my new rigs. Get any of the absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries on the narket. They cost more up front but they are a great investment. I hook my on-board charger (Cabelas Pro Tournament by Professional Mariner) at least 125 times a year after every use whether I use my trolling motor or not on the last trip.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: kneve@stellarnet.com
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 05-06-2002).]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin. Sounds like you have had good luck with the Trolling Thunder. I wasn't so lucky. I bought the dual purpose for starting and running my live well. I also liked the size and the fact i could mount it anywhere. I got 6 months out of it. I called the place i bought it from for a new one. They said they no longer carry them as they had too many come back. So i was sent to Hawkner for the warranty. I got the run around from Hawkner and was told they no longer make that battery. They said they could send me a new battery if i purchased one of their special chargers. It turns out they said some special charger is needed on the T/T battery to charge it or it will fail. They said it was a engineering glitch. Thank God i didn't buy 3 more for my 36 volt trolling motor. So now iam stuck with a $125 dollar anchor. Did you have any problems? Do you charge them with your on-board? I charged this one with the Minn-kota on-board when needed.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALL of my marine batteries make a sizzling sound when charging. I own the old school marine batteries, not the gel or dry cell or whatever is new on the market). It is a normal sound. The thing to really be careful, is when they are sizzling they emit a poisonous, flamable gas. There must be plenty of ventilation. I also prop up the battery covers with a screwdriver to avoid expansion and avoid an explosion. I have seen batteries explode when they are charged improperly (no trickle charger).

A trickle charger is a must. I use a 10amp charger that trickles down to 1 amp when completely charged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That gas is hydrogen, it is a normal by-product of charging, and it is very flammable.

As CD said, it is very important to provide ventilation when charging and also to prevent sparks. Batteries can explode violently if this charging gas ignites, and blow bits of battery case and sulfuric acid all over you. Be especially careful connecting and disconnecting charging cables. I did this once in a car and learned a valuable lesson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D-Man, I've never had any problem with them taking or holding a charge. I don't remember which model I have. They are the same size as a regular battery. I did have some troubles with them keeping the posts secured for a bit.

I know they do not make them anymore or at least are not sold at Cabelas anymore. I have gotten my money out of them and will purchase the same technology (AGM) again in a heart beat.

A word of note, always pull the extension cord from the outlet before you drive away. People in town get a kick out you driving down the road with an orange extension cord trailing behind your rig.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: kneve@stellarnet.com
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0