• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

the ultimate jigging rod and reel

mudslinger64

Question

i was just putting new line on my reel and noticed that there is a groove worn into the bail next to the roller not the wire but in the graphite itself.i am sure this happened when i was using fireline on it last year the thing that really gets me is i only used it for 1 day but i just had to try this line,wow what a difference very sensitive i could feel everything.when I would get light hits it would feel like the fish would hit my jig with everything it had and i know they weren't,it impressed me in that way but for all the hassle with tying knots and the way it ate my reel up i am choosing not to use it for my type of fishing i also had problems with it when i would hook a nice size fish all the line on my spool would just start spinning it wouldn't stay tight on it and i know how to put line on a spool so it stays put,but not with this stuff i will never use it on a jigging rod again i am sure it would work fine on a trolling rod with a baitcaster but i dont fish that way i only fish in the st.louis river,90% of the time anyway i don't have to go anywhere else i catch tons of fish there i have had a lot of days where i have caught 100 fish in a day don't get me wrong here i am not trying to brag but i know the river very well i've been fishing it for over 20 years and now i only live 2 miles from the forbes dam so i am on the river every day.most of the people that i see fishing it don't know what they are doing sure they catch a few fish but not big numbers of them i have helped quite a few people learn how to fish it over the years and now some of them give me a run for my money thats the way it is up here on the range anyway.sorry didn't mean to get off track here but i am sure you guy's know what happens when we start talking fishing.so here is my question like i said i am a jig fisherman mostly 1/8 oz but not bigger than 1/4 oz what do you think the best rod/reel setup would be for the river? after this happened i am getting a new rod and reel its been a couple of years so it's time.my rod now is a fenwick hmx 6'6''ML action/reel is a shimano solstace 2000RB quickfire 2 rear drag and for line i use excalibur 10x 6LB test it's the best line i have found for fishing in the rocks very abrasive resistant i also use it on my steelhead rod.so i am just curious on what your opinions would be as to what would make the ultimate setup for this kind of fishing as there is a lot of very knowledgable people on this site and i respect your opinions.again sorry for being so long winded but you know how it is when it comes to fishin,later Bruce grin.gif

9 answers to this question

bruce! first the fire line will wear a groove in ceramic bails. a stainless steel won't do that . the stuff is very abraisive. the reason the line was turning on you reel is that it won't bite into a spool like mono. if you put a layer of mono on first then the braided then it will not do that. i've gotten partial to the bass pro rods.( bionic blades) ( im 8/ 6-6 med) watch for a sale and you can get them fo $50 ea. reg $79 i used shamano symetrey reels. love the set up. del

If you liked that braid so much just dont give up on them. Put on some Powerpro 10lb. I use rods that have ceramic guides (fenwick, and my berkley) with no problems yet and thats been a year or so now. Also I use Okuma reels on my rods. the one has a ceramic roller and i havent had any problems with that. I would say take a look at red barn rods if you wanted a high quality jigging rod. Maybe even put a a Okuma reel on there? either a Avenger or Epixor. Thats what I use and I can complain about them. When I did get the Avenger the bail spring was set wrong but the seemed to fix it right.

They may be a bit spendy, but I've yet to use a jigging rod compares to St. Croix's legend elite, 6' 3" med with an xtra fast tip-$310. Super sensitive and the strongest high modulus graphite rod I've ever used. As for a reel, I'm a bit partial to shimano and I like the stradics. Makes for a good combo. Ilike to use it with fireline and a vanish leader.

Rod - G Loomis IMX SJR642
Reel - Pinnacle Deadbolt Limited 1000

Despite the Deadbolts problems in cold weather, I really love them. They have wonderful drag system. They have came out with two new models that are supposedly cured of that.

The G Loomis rod is 5'4" and very light which is valuable if you verticle jig for days on end. I had ones that had rings to position the reel that gave a very balanced feel. After 8 years in my boat, I am sad to say I lost the last 6"'s of both of them to the rod locker door while fishing at night. I still haven't gotten over it.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

I've turned myself into a hardcore loomis user. For jigging, you couldn't ask for anything better. I've got pinnacle on my loomis and have had nothin but good times with it.

thanks for the replys i went to red barn rods HSOforum and like the selection of rods does anyone know if they are sold in any stores in the duluth area? i would like to feel one with a loomis blank or st.croix i have never seen a rod with those hardwood handles it must help a lot.as far as a reel i have been considering going to pinnacle as i have heard nothing but good about them also who makes the power pro line i was looking at L&M supply and lucky seven in virginia today and can't find it.i sure spent a lot of money on jigs and spinners today it's funny how fast it all ads up,oh well i guess there is worse things to spend money on,no matter how much tackle i have it never seems like i have enough i always need more i just wish the wife could understand that she seems to think 1 rod and a couple of jigs are good enough.wonder what she is going to think when my cabelas order gets here in a couple of days hundreds of jigs coming HEHE well thanks again for the info later,Bruce grin.gif

im not shure who makes powerpro but the HSOforum is powerpro.com As for pinnacle reels if i was to spend that much on one have you ever took a look at Fin-Nor spinning reels. I dont know any sites off hand for theese but if you type it in a search engine you should be able to find it. Now theres a nice reel
If you fish very clear water you might want to consider using a flourocarbon leader also if you decide to use powerpro. I use 8lb Segaur CARBONPRO flourocarbon fishing line. No complaints about it. Caught plenty of 5-8lb pike on it without snapping or cutting my leader in a day. I use a small swivel in the middle of the 2 lines to connect them. Noticed that if you use the uni-to-uni knot more than likely the powerpro will start to cut into the knot of the floro. Hope some of this helps

mudslinger, not sure if it was mentioned, but when you use the "super" lines you have to put mono backing on your reel to keep it from slipping on the spool. I worked at Gander MT for a while and countless numbers of guys came in saying my **** drag is broke. But really it wasn't.