• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$100-$150 jig rod

Just curious to see what you guys like to use for your jigging rod. I normally use mono, swear by 8lb maxima chameleon when vertical jigging. but sometimes i also like to cast into to some heavier cover and then i prefer to switch to some 10/2 green powerpro.

Im looking at getting a rod in either 6'3" or 6'6". Also would prefer sometime of metal/alloy/titanium guide. I almost always used a ML action rod but i think I will be switching to a medium. I guess i would really like a rod i could drop down to a 1/8oz jig up to a 1/2oz so any suggestions on what to look at?

Slick- before you buy anything check out a couple of rods... for most of my walleye jigging I use a Shimano Crucial CRSDX68M... its a 6'8" M action rated 4-8lb line. 1/8-3/8oz lure wt. Also check out the Limit Creek Rods, I have heard quite a few good things about them.

I have a Cruical and St Croix Avid. Like them both a lot but lately for jigging I use my Limit Creek Smoothie the most. You will have to alter your hookset a bit as the extra fast tip is just that but the feel is excellant. Used it last night slip bobbering and jigging for crappies and it was superb. For pitching jigs I mostly use my Avid but the Limit Creek has also proven itself in that application.

I find the Superman pole to be too stiff, kind of like using steel. The Barbie pole is, IMO, too top heavy, and the Batman pole is great for night fishing, but is doesn't like to work right in day light. Stay away from the scooby doo rod, it has no backbone. The SpongeBob rod seems to be a bit....spongy. I recommend the Dora the explorer rod, it seem to be able to find it's way around the lake quite well.

Seriously though, any rod with a fast tip, M/ML power, with a good backbone will work well for most jigging. Length is a personal thing, but a 6'-6'6" rod is a good length. Brand is also a personal thing. IMO, Loomis rods are a little over priced. I have 4, but if I had to pay full retail for them, I don't think I would own any of them. I think what gets me with the Loomis rods is the reel seats. For what they charge for the rods, IMO the seats are cheesy compared to the price tag. I don't know what it is, but I don't care much for the Fenwick line. St Croix's seem real nice, and feel good to me. Where I'm at right now, it's not likely I will ever buy another rod off of a rack. My next rods will be custom made by either me, or a quality rod maker. I would take a close look at the custom rod route. You may or may not get one made by opener, but in the long run, it might be the best route.

I think i will be buying a st.croix avid. since it seems to be the one with features that im really looking for. I appreciate the suggestions guys. keep them comming. im still open at looking at other rods.

I've had a Lamiglas spinning rod for 10 years but it is a steelhead rod not a jigging rod. Still, it's the best heavy spinning rod I've ever used and Lamiglass replaced the top section (it's a nine foot two piece) for free when it broke about five years ago, no questions asked.

I agree with Big Northern, Lamiglass makes a great rod for the $. they have great customer service as well very prompt and dont ask questions. they make a great line of walleye rods, check them out i think you will be inpressed. Jonah

Thanks guys. Is it me or is there almost too many options for rods? As far as brands, especially with all custom rods. It seems like every pro walleye guy is now trying to launch their own brand of rods (ie Tom Backer, Roach and several others). I don't know.

For my walleye rods, I'll stick with my loomis rods and maybe now a few Lamiglas rods. To each their own I guess.

Quote:

Anybody ever fish with the Gary Roach Mr. Walleye rods? I was fondling a couple of them at Gander and they felt pretty darn nice...

I've been using the Lightning Rod Gary Roach Sig.series .

The one I like the best is the ML 5'8".

It's got a great backbone for power & it's a fast tip for great hooksets.

I've seen Gary now with his own line & they look almost identicle from the bell end cork handles to the 304 SS guides to the IM composite blanks.

I'm always working a jig & I love the way it handles itself.

I've been looking to & I believe Gary will get my business once again.

St.Croix make a nice rod & Fenwicks are pretty good too,but if you want the best go buy a Loomis.

For the money it is tough to beat a shimano clarus.

All my jigging rods are the Guide Series Tournaments. IM 9's

I will put it up against an avid or an IMX anyday and they are 1/3 the price. However if you like a really tight action, it is tough to beat an Avid.

John

Deitz, or anybody, where can I find information on 'limit creek' rods?

I have never heard of them. I need another rod like I need a third nipple, but what the heck. I looked at Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Googled 'limit creek, but no luck. I have always used St.croix and Shimano, but if they are new and other guys like them I would like to try them. Thanks!

I googled limit creek fishing rods and found the site. Does any one know if they have a show room in Hudson or can you check out their shop? Only sold online, @ everts in Hager City and a couple other places... I need to put one in my hand I think.

Quote:

I find the Superman pole to be too stiff, kind of like using steel. The Barbie pole is, IMO, too top heavy, and the Batman pole is great for night fishing, but is doesn't like to work right in day light. Stay away from the scooby doo rod, it has no backbone. The SpongeBob rod seems to be a bit....spongy. I recommend the Dora the explorer rod, it seem to be able to find it's way around the lake quite well.

Here is my Scooby Doo in Action.

[image]alaska059.jpg[/image]