• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what GPS unit to buy?

andy j

Question

I am thinking about buying a gps unit. I would want one that is in the $100-$125 range. I want a handheld unit. I don't need features for elevation. I just want one that is acurate and I can store waypoints. What are some good units and where do you recommend buying one. Thanks AJ

9 answers to this question

a good gps is usually more than that but, if you were to get one in that price range i would get a magellan gps 320 it has verry good features and its only $170. you can order it out of the cabelas catalog.

its a little out of the price range but its a great one.

I would go with the Garmin 12 it is easy to use very accurate its only downfall is that it does'nt float (how I lost mine)replaced it with a gamin 76 ,witch doesn't seem to be as good so far has a hard time getting signal in woods and while driving ,have not had chance to use it in the boat yet .
just my opinion good luck

Yes, Go with the Garmin 12 it is by far the best basic handheld unit out there. The more people you talk to the more you will find they will guide you towards this unit. A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought both the Magellan and the Garmin just to see wich one he personally liked best and after a week he returned the Magellan. ( not a bad idea to do if you know you can get your money back ) Hope this helps, Pete

My vote goes for the etrex. It's in the price range and will do most everything the 12 will do for less money. It has no map software, but who needs a road map when all you want is to mark a way point on your hot spot.

Do both the Garmin 12 and etrex have the feature that shows you your course reversed from your start point? In other words how to get back to where you started from? If so how well does that work and is one model better than the other. Thanks.

Andy, the etrex is the one you want if you price range 100-125. The 12 is a great unit, but quite old now, more bulky and not as efficient! The etrex will do everything the 12 will. It is a good value. Husker, I believe they will both let you run a couple of reverse routes, but once you get familer with them you will never want to wast your time! Just plug unit into power source and leave on plotter all day and just follow the bread crumb trail home!

I just bought the Garmin 12 at Gander and it was $150, if you want the mount to put in your boat it's another $25. Thanks for the info guy's because I had no idea of which to buy and I can try it out on leech this weekend.