• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6hp Johnson outboard problem.

slick2526

Question

Hello, Last year my father and I purchased a used 6hp Johnson. Im guessing its a late 70s early 80s model. It seems to run great at high speeds but I cannot get it to idle low enough to troll without it dieing out on me. I notice when this it is about ready to die out on me that the bubble on the fuel has almost no pressure on it. Any idea on what is wrong? connection from the line to the motor? To big of fuel line? Needs to be tunned up? Any suggestions would be helpful. Starts to get irritating after a while having to constantly squeeze that bubble lolol.

4 answers to this question

It's right at the age where outboards transitioned from points and condenser ignition to electronic ignition. If you have points, they may be burned. This will cause hard starting, rough running, and certainly impact on idle speed. If you are going to fix it yourself, go to the library and check out a repair manual for you're specific model of outboard. It will guide you through the steps. The previous advice was sound. Do plugs first, then carburetor low speed adjustments, then, if it still doesn't work, go to the library.

Hello, Last year my father and I purchased a used 6hp Johnson. Im guessing its a late 70s early 80s model. It seems to run great at high speeds but I cannot get it to idle low enough to troll without it dieing out on me. I notice when this it is about ready to die out on me that the bubble on the fuel has almost no pressure on it. Any idea on what is wrong? connection from the line to the motor? To big of fuel line? Needs to be tunned up? Any suggestions would be helpful. Starts to get irritating after a while having to constantly squeeze that bubble lolol.

If it runs great at hight speeds it's not the pump of leak in the line. If it were the problem it would happen at high speeds.
I would start with fresh plugs. Then try the low speed mixture. The should be a knob that says "low speed". If that doent work I would say your carb.is dirty.

Check the O-rings in the fuel line connectors. If they are damaged you can get all sorts of strange fuel related problems. Besides, replacing them will only cost a couple of bucks.

If squeezing the primer bulb as you notice the problem clears up the rough idle, you have a fuel delivery problem. Clean the carb or get it serviced.