• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lost pole

riverrat214

I was fishing on our local river not watching my one pole and i heard a noise turned and looked, gone no pole, later i went to my freinds house and told him what happend. His dad and grandfather were down river from us about 100yds,and my bobber popped up in gramps hole. Well father talks to son, son's tells him i lost a pole,he comes over to my house and asks me if i lost something,i said yes and he said, did it look like this one. Yes just like that one. i got my pole back with a live minnow on it. I must of knocked it the water, i still have that pole about fifteen years later.

Ya...I know the feeling. I was on Marion yesterday, turned around to jig one pole and heard a "sploosh" behind me, turned around just in time to see my jig-stick disappear down the hole...must'a been a northern for how fast it went!!! frown.gif

I had a similar experience a few years ago. A sauger bit while I wasn't looking and took my pole down the hole. About 15 minutes later one of my sons said, "Dad, I see a bobber under the ice near my hole." The bobber moved into the hole, I grabbed it, and got the pole back with a 12 inch sauger still hooked.

These stories reminded me of my own a few years back.My daughter and I were fishing in a contest on a small lake.We had a flag on a tip-up outside and in the excitement forgot to open the bails on the jig rods.When outside I heard a noise in the shack before I could get there the rod was gone!That was in February and I was back out there in April fishing for crappies in the boat in the same area when I noticed a bobber floating in the water.As I got closer I realized it was mine.I pulled up the line and there was my rod.I'm still using it today although I had to clean and lube the reel pretty good.Later.

A few years ago I was on the Big Pond. I found an open hole that was about 10 inches. I set up and put my rod stand up and stuck my pole in it. I put a bucket on the corner of the rod holder and then walked over to talk to the guy. I saw some guys out of the corner of my eye yelling something at me and at the same time saw my rod sliding quickly toward the hole, holder, bucket and all. Mind you there was not alot of snow on the ice and the gyrations I was making trying to get to the hole was pretty hilarious. By the time I got to the D*** thing it went down the hole. And to top it off the holder went with it. To make things worse I bought the rod just the day before and spent a few dollars on it. Oh well. I hope it was a big ol walleye on the end and not an eelpout!!