• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line 2 use?

fishtrap2

Question

Ok. I settled on a rod for my line counter reel. I got the St.Croix 7' med. glass. I plan on using this combo for trolling cranks. What line should I use? Lead core? let me know what you think. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I have been using 14# Fireline for a number of years for pulling cranks. I have considered switching to Power Pro but its hard to teach this old dog any new tricks! Go with a thin braid you have confidence in, they work great with the moderate action glass rods, such as your new one. You should pick up a Precision Trolling Guide also {6th ed.} if you do not have one already, get one you will love it. Couple hundred assorted crankbaits and your in the business!!!

Fisky

Like D-man, last year I used 8/12 fusion and it worked well for me. This year I am trying the power pro 6/20. I tryed the power pro a couple of weeks ago on a lake in Iowa bass fishing and I had a problem with it geting knots in it. I also don't believe it really is a 6 lb diameter, it feels more like 8 lb. It does seem extremely strong though. The smaller the diameter the deeper the lure will run. Good luck.