• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BREAKING AND ENTERING

Gonzo

I usually (dang warm weather!) put a permanent on Minnetonka. I dont even have the ability to put a lock on the house. The only thing I leave in the house is a couple rusty old folding chairs, and I'm always surprised they're still there when I go out. The sad fact is that if you don't want it broken into and things stolen, don't leave it in the house. I have had a couple of interesting experiences over the years though. Once I went out to my house, and there where guys fishing in it! I asked them how it was going, told them that was my name on the house, and thanks for drilling my holes! They were actually Ok about it (luckily - I was alone) Another time, somone left a "present" in one of my frozen holes. It didn't seem too bad, so I removed the "present" and cut my holes. Unfortunately, as soon as the house heated up, I knew I was going to have to move over a few feet! shocked.gif
There was a vigilante group out there a few years ago, looking for guys breaking into houses. They beat the h*ll out of a couple of innocent guys who were using a friends house with permission, and houses still got broken into later that same night.
Locks are for honest people. Too bad.

Dark30,
Thanks for bringing this topic to our attention. As sad as it seems,this is the way our world has become. There are those that seem to think that if they don't have something no one else should either. Oh for the days when you respected other peoples property as much as your own. Maybe the State Game And Fish Dept. should use some of the money they collect from our license to protect our gear. But I'm sure that it would take more than that. Welcome to the 21st century I guess. Just my veiw.

I NOTICED THE OTHER NIGHT A GUY HAD HIS TRUCK WINDOW BROKEN OUT BY THIEVES. I TALKED TO ANOTHER GUY WHO SAID HE'D BEEN BROKEN INTO THIS YEAR ON THE ICE.

ANYBODY KNOW ANY TIPS OR TRICKS TO KEEP THESE PEOPLE OUT OR SOMETHING? I WAS THINKING, MAYBE A 12 VOLT MOVEMENT LIGHT OF SOME KIND....CAN THAT BE DONE? I SUPPOSE A GUY SHOULD JUST NOT LEAVE ANYTHING INSIDE THE SHACK AND NOT EVEN LOCK IT. BOY,I SURE WOULD LOVE TO CATCH SOMEONE BUSTIN UP MY (OR ANYONES) FISH HOUSE!
NICE ICE!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Dark, I think besides not leaving anything in it and unlocked about all "we" can do is watch out for our and our neighbors houses on the lake. As I've said before, I've made several middle of the night rides on the 4-wheeler with no lights on checking on some vehicles/sleds/4-wheelers that looked out of place. Living on the lake you get to see and know most of the vehicles, fish houses, when they fish, where they fish and when something is out of the ordinary. Can we stop them all? No. We can sure slow them down, put the fear of God in them and catch as many as possible. Your right Dark, I'd love to catch a few in the act! Good Fishing!

This subject makes me as mad as any. I don't understand why people would do that. I guess the potential reward outways the consequences of their actions. The only thing we can do is try to change that balance to our favor. Look out for other peoples stuff and punish offenders.

The one they did on our lake last week was just to trash the houses. Poles all over the lake. Broken windows. Basically it's someone (possibly kids) with way too much time on their hands.

We actually had someone break in to our cabin 2 yrs ago and all they took were the boat keys. Guess they couldn't get it started. The funny thing was is the keys were hidden so the person that did it had to have knowledge of where they might be. (we figured the neighbors kid since they had the keys to our place)

Lack of respect is the key to the whole problem, I believe. How often do kids refer to adults as Sir, Maam, Mr, or Mrs? I still call my childhood friends parents Mr & Mrs. Too many times now you hear adults spoken to by their first names.