• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluorocarbon for Ice Fishing

Heading up to Mille Lacs this weekend and thought I'd experiment with Fluorocarbon (8# Berkley Vanish) on one of my jigging rods (for walleyes). I'm curious to see what others have to say regarding it's performance. I understand it has it's good points, but I've also heard that it doesn't have the greatest resistance to abrasion. For this application, am I setting my self up to have a decent size fish take a run or two away from the hole only to find out the line will easily get nicked on the ice and the fish will go bye bye? Any advice, comments, experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

><(((>

It is the BEST!!! I started using it this year and I have used a lot of line in my day, this stuff is the best! I have not tried anything higher then 4lb, but the 2 & 4 are something else. Everyone that fishes with me has heard me talking about how it has changed the way I fish, it has. I have found it to be very strong, durable and have not had to use anything more then 4 pound this year. As you can tell I am very impressed with it. So far I have gone the entire year without breaking the 2 pound test on a fish. Last year I fished the Micro Ice all year and broke a line just about every time out. Again, I can't say enought how impressed I am with this stuff.ScottS

One of the "Pro's" of FC is it's durability!

Who told you it was subject to nicks? I have used this stuff for a few years and would have to agree with Scott - It is the best! I use FC leaders rather than steel ones for Pike and Muskie, clear and strong!

I use Vanish in the summer and haven't had any complaints. Haven't used it in the winter though. I don't think you should have much of a problem. Pretty good line. Good Fishing, Matt.

I switched from FC to micro ice this year(what a mistake)I lost a lot of big fish on micro ice.The only problem I've had with FC is that it seems to have a lot of memory.Any suggestions?

------------------
RipJigger

I have been using it on a few of my rods this year as well. I am very impressed. I just caught a 3.5-4# largemouth this weekend on 2# test. It has held up after a lot of long fights and a lot of rubbing on the bottom of the hole. I have snapped my line a few times out on Mille Lacs with some of the big pigs out there. Its bound to happen sometime.
It doesn't have as much stretch as regular mono, making it more sensitive. The lack of stretch will cause more snapped lines if your rod is too stiff for your line in comparison to mono.
It doesn't have much memory either. I like this because it will come off your spool much easier and will not coil up on your spool after a few days. One negative side of this is that it will want to spring off your reel. If your not paying attention as you let your line out you could end up with a mess, especially outside in the wind........

I agree that it's the best. All my ice rods are rigged with various tests. The only thing I'd recommend is cutting it with scissors or a very sharp knife. I usually had a clipper, and if it was dull, it would fray the line, making it harder to tie knots.

I put 6 lb. Vanish on my winter walleye rods and didn't like it because it retained too much memory---jumped off the reels. From other posts about how tough this line is, I obviously used too heavy of line. Guys using the lighter weights sound like they're have good luck. I might have to try some 4 lb.

mike

I have been experimenting with Fireline this winter and so far I like it. Higher pound test and thin diameter. I spool my walleye rods with 8lb and 6lb and it seems like there is 3 or 4lb line on there. I still am going to stick with mono for panfish though. Good Fishing, Matt.

Flourcarbon works well. Although I like Tuf-Line Plus in the 50 pound test (10 pound diameter) It sheds water well and has near zero stretch. I haven't had any break offs.

I also tried fluorocarbon line for the first time this year and have had the same favorable results as stated in former posts. One thing I have found is you have to do while tying knots is make sure you get the line wet wet before cinching it tight. As opposed the braided lines or even mono--to a point, the little bit of friction heat can(will) cause a very week spot just above the knot on the fluoro line.

jeff

Flourocarbon line will "jump" off your reel but turn a negative into a positive. You know that it can happen, but it sure makes it easy to fish light tackle. You don't have to "peal" the line off your reel and small jigs will fall with ease!ScottS

I avoid the hassles of the tight coils of fluoro slipping off the reel by using a 3-4 ft leader section of 4# Vanish attached to my main line. It is attached with a surgeon's knot, which is very strong and is easy to tie. Also, by doing a line-to-line connection, instead of using a swivel, you can use longer lengths of leaders as the knot will easily go through the guides.

Dave

[This message has been edited by PerchEye (edited 01-26-2002).]