• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salmo Chubby Darters

Has anyone had any luck using this lure? I bought 2 at the icefishing show for $7 a piece and I have yet to catch any fish using it. The only thing that this lure has caught so far has been me. I thought this was the lure of all lures or was it just all hype? Those of you having luck with this lure, how are you rigging it (plain, minnow head in the front hook or back hook or both)?
Thanks in advance!

I have used the Salmo Chubby Darter! I was catching small perch and dinky 'eyes with a jigging spoon and minnow head. I decided to put on a Darter and within 10 minutes I had two 17 inch walleyes and two 10-11 inch perch. They would rise off the bottom and just "spank" the lure. You have to remember though that you don't work it like a jiggin Rap or others. You simply pull up slowly and release. Very little action is necessary most of the time. It's got a tremendous vibration when pulled up and down. I didn't tip the hook at all with a minnow. Just used it plain. I was amazed, watching the flasher, how fast the fish came up and how hard they smacked it. I haven't had a chance to go fishing much lately, but plan on going this evening. I'll let you know how it works!

Maybe you already saw this, but in the latest In Fisherman, there is a photo of one of the staffers using this lure with a small jig about 2" below it (hanging by 4lb mono) and tipped with maggots. Apparently it is one of his favorite rigs for jumbo perch. I believe all of the hooks on the S.C.D. were removed for this setup.

I have used the Chubby Darter on Mille Lacs when fishing for walleye. Caught 6 fish off of it. Tip a minnow head on the treble hook and let the lure hit the bottom every once in awhile. Pick it up about 6 inches and snap it 2 feet and then let it fall back down to 6 inches. Hope this helps. Good Fishing, Matt.

i took the back hook off and put a 3" drop leader on. i have caught 10 or 11 walleyes on them . they come off the bottom and just slam it. between them and the fl-18 it is if there are fish in the area they will come to see.

I tried the cubby darter last night for the first time, no luck, but I'm not sure I was using it long enough. My Question to the people who have luck with these are, if you use a minnow head which hook do you put it on, and were the fish caught during the day, or night?
Thanks

Lauger, I like to tip the minnow head on the treble hook on the belly of the Chubby Darter. I caught most of my fish at sunrise and sunset. Good Fishing, Matt.

Thanks for the reply, I am going to Mille Lacs Friday thru Sunday, and will put a little more time in with the darter. I have the perch pattern, is this a good pattern to start with?
thanks

Chubby Darters are for real. I've been knocking Northerns dead on them. I have caught fish on all colors and sizes. Perch, Real Roach and Orange Metallic Gold are the bomb. The only thing that I don't like about them is the hooks. The stock hooks are weak. I put some Eagle Claw and the problem was solved.

Thanks for all your responses.
So, all I should be doing is lifting and dropping? Any favorite colors?
I can't wait to try them again.

Don't catch 'em all, save some for me!

Lift/drop works well. Add a little bit of twitching when the lure returns to its normal position. I like the perch and metallic colors.
Good Fishing, Matt.

i have been using the salmo chubby darter with success although i have only caught a couple of fish this year with the actual lure-.--I jig the darter till i see a fish on the vex and if he doesnt immediately slam it i reel up fast and drop a small ivans lure on top of em before they leave-works for me-jig and switch

I've also caught some nice Walleyes on them. If the Walleyes are active, hang on after you rip it up because they will smack it! if they aren't agressive and don't take it, swithch to something else that's more subtle. good luck, Bruce Mosher <;}}><

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

I just picked up the chubby darter tonight and am going to try it tomorrow. At first I thought the 7 bucks was a lot for an ice fishing lure, which I already have a lot of but you can never have too many. In the In-fisherman ice fishing mag they showed all kinds of nice walleyes that were caught on the darter. I'm not usually one to go for the hiped-up lures, but I think this is the real deal.

say_der, you can pick these up at Gander Mountain or at any other company fishing store. I have also seen them at small baitshops too.
Good Fishing, Matt.