• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tip-up tactics

pikehunter

I write in frustration. I've been fishing pike on tip-ups for years with decent success. Today, however, was a different story. Nine tip-ups in five hours, but no fish through the hole. That's right, 0-for-9!!.
None of the fish seemed to run at all, and only one had taken a considerable amount of line out of the spool.
If anyone could share similar experiences and possibly tell me what I'm doing wrong in this instance, it would be greatly appreciated!
(I fish braided line with a larger weight right above the 12" leader and a regular, large hook.)
P.S. If you'd rather tell me to quit whining and be thankful I had nine flags up, I'd understand.

Well.....this may be elementary to you, but are you sure your minnows did not trip some of the flags? I find that if I buy the larger minnows(bigger the better) they tend to do this. I use a toenail clipper to trim most of their tail fin off and this eliminates that problem. (now you know I don't belong to PETA) smile.gif I also use small treble hooks with a spinner to make them legal. I sometimes us the little extra spinners that come with a new Swedish Pimple lure. These treble hooks usually hit their mark. Last Saturday we had approximately 15-20 flags in 4 hours and we lost 3 or 4 fish. If you are sure you had a fish down there every time, I guess I would just wait for them to start moving again with the bait. Good luck!!!

Pike

I suspect you may be using too heavy of weight. After the fish trips the tipup, the weight may be hitting the lake bottom with enough force to spook the fish, thus the fish lets go. I like to use a split-shot that is just heavy enough to get the hook down to where you want it without it taking forever, all depends on how deep your fishing--go as light as you can though.

I agree with hunt4food about using treble hooks if possible. It definitely decreases the number of missed hits.

tipupTime

mike

Try using a circle hook with like Hawg Time said, a small splitshot. By using the circle hook, you can let them take the bait forever without worrying about a gut-hooked fish. When you do decide to set the hook, use a sweeping motion with your arm and the fish will be hooked. Also, you can tighten down the spool on the tip-up and most of the time the fish will hook themselves.
Good luck
>"////=<

I recently found that using a fairly large bullet sinker above a 12" leader works quite well. Because the line slides freely through the sinker, the fish isn't easily spooked. I haven't missed too many fish this way, and am very impressed at it's efficiency. I also use a 1/0 wide gap hook with a twist that offets the hook point from it's shaft. That's just what I do.

pikehunter,

All of the above hints are good ones!!

Sometimes if your spool freezes up, the fish will be brought to a hault when swimming away with your bait.

ALmost sounds like you had walleye action more than pike?? Moderate to slow spindle rotation is a good indication of a walleye below. Fast, rippen rotation is usually a sign of a pike.

It seems you know what your doing, but just ran into a bad day. Sometimes, timing with tip-ups is second nature. The next time out, the fish don't take it the same, just mouthing your bait rather than inhaling and running!!
Also, each fish will take your bait in a different way as well. So it isn't always an easy hook set process.

I have had fish take most of a spool, stop, run again, then spit it out. I have had fish barely move the spool while swimming back to the whole. I have had successful hook sets right smack dab in the middle of a run and while they are sitting still.

I guess what I am saying is, keep at it. For each day brings a new challenge and experience, fishing with tip-ups!!

Keep the rods bendin' and the flags flying high!!!!!

Jim W

I am with D-Man! If you are fishing for bigger pike then use a quick strike rig. You will get your fish! I used to fish with just a treble hook, thinking that for the average Pike in our area a quick-strike was to big. I found this not to be true. So, I dug out all my old quick strikes and will not be taking them off the tip-ups any more. They work great, and you can used much bigger bait with them.ScottS

Quick Strike rig is a good choice. It balances out the minnow well and keeps the minnow anchored. I have quick strike rigs on all my pike tip-ups. Good Fishing, Matt.

pikehunter,

If you're sure they were pike, all the other suggestions are good ones. But like Jim W said, they sound like they could have possibly been walleye hits. Largemouth sometimes hit like that too, by simply sucking the minnow in, setting the flag off, and then dropping the minnow. If you've got a lot of perch in the area, perch could be setting your flags off too. They don't have to be jumbos. It's surprising how big of a minnow even a 6" or 7" perch will try to eat.

Being that you've had success before, I'm thinking you probably had a day where perch, or possibly largemouth were setting your flags off.

AWH

I saw some posts earlier about the quick strike rigs. I am somewhat handy but unfortunately I am one of those that have to see it to make it. Not read how it's done. Do any of you guys have a rig that you could sell me, so I would have one to look at to make my own? If not thats cool.
Tully

Tully if you email me I can tell you in detail how to make one. They are really easy. In trying to keep my post short I skipped a lot of the detail. Email me and I will give you the step by step instructions, it is very easy.ScottS

[email protected]

Glad I could help guys. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. I forgot to mention that the smaller hook goes infront of the tail when you are hooking up your bait.ScottS