• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wiring a 12/24 volt TM plug

ccarlson

Question

I have a ranger fisherman that has 24 volt set up for the bow mount but I want to add a 24 v. vantage to the back.

4 wires on the receptacle. Orange (24v.), Red (12 volt for the lift motor), black, and a black with blue.

Set me up with where to hook each wire to the existing battery arrangement. I think I should be able to pull both 12v. and 24 volt off the deep cycles. I don't want to add in the starting battery to the mix if possible.

thanks,
ccarlson

7 answers to this question

The Vantage will have three wires. Yellow,black and red. The Yellow is for the auto deploy wich goes on your first battery along with the black, The red goes on the + of the second battery. VERY important not to wire the motor so that the deploy gets 24 volts! The deploy runs on 12 volts. You will cook it in seconds if its wired wrong. This will also void any warranty.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 05-01-2002).]

First I want to get the plug receptacle that goes on the boat wired correctly for 12/24. Then I will wire the matching male plug to the vantage according to the needs of the motor so thanks for the info on the vantage color code. that will help for step 2.

Now if I can just get the 4 wires for the receptacle figured out, that is what I need right now. Like I said before, I know the red should be pulling 12v. and the orange wire 24 volts and the other two I assume are grounds. Any suggestions?

thanks,
ccarlson

Ok, i think i get it. I have a three wire receptacle wired to the batteries. I have two reds and a black on the receptacle. I have one red off the recept going to the + on my first battery and the black going to the - on the first battery. My second red off the recept goes to the + on my third battery. So yours would be the + on your second battery. To summarize i would imagine you would eliminate the black wire with the stripe. Then just make sure the receptacle that you wire to the end of the motor leads match up with the wiring on the receptacle to the batteries. You then just have to connect your batteries in series with the supplied fused jumper you get with the motor if your buying new. Another note, your boat is far heavier than mine, if you can throw three batteries into the equasion, you'll be much happier with the Vantage 101. It draws less amps than the 50 or 72 and the high thrust is great in the wind even on a 17 foot alumi.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

D Man,
That is what I suspect as well. Just don't use the black with stripe but be sure unit ground wire matches the ground on receptacle.

Makes sense. I think I'll get a volt meter to be sure before I hook up.

thanks,
ccarlson