• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with jigging technique

huskminn

Okay, I've been fishing for 30 years, but am still fairly new to the serious ice fishing scene (3-4 years). I am almost ashamed to admit....I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to jigging for fish through the ice.

I know all the set-ups: Kastmasters, Jiggin Raps, Nils Masters, Buckshot Rattle Spoons, Angle Eyes, etc, etc. Tip them with minnow head, minnow tail, whole minnow, etc.

What I don't know is how to go about jigging them.....how to detect a hit....when to jig, when to stop, etc. I can't hold my rod steady enough to watch the tip and detect a light bite with cold hands. Of course, if a fish thumps it, no problem, but I have no confidence in jigging.

Can someone offer some insights here? Thank you!

Huskminn,I like to use a medium sized swedish pimple in the pearl color tipped with a minnow head.Keep it 4"to a foot off the bottom constantly jigging, ripping it up a foot or and letting it fall leave it pause a second or two then repeat.I always fish this under a vexilar.When a fish comes in it is usually on the pause.If it is reluctant pull the jig slowly upward and give it a slight jiggle.Keep pulling it up away from the fish(it really tics them off) When they hit it you'll know it (Bang!) smile.gif

------------------
RipJigger

First off if you do not own a flasher invest soon. It is a lot easier to detect a bite if you already know a fish is there. You will be able to see how the fish reacts to your jigging techniques. No one jigging pattern will get all fish to bite. Often it seems that each fish has their own personality. I personally like two use steady one foot jigs with a controlled fall, keeping in contact with the jig. Many people let the line go slack on the fall, but if a fish bites you may not feel it before it gets spit back out. If you keep the line tight you can see the slack when they grab it feel for tension and set the hook. If they get won't bite on a steady jig try shaking the jig right in their face. Good luck.

huskminn, you don't have to really know about jiggin'. It seems every time I set my pole down, to do something else, I get a bite wink.gif

One thing that might help you learn about light bites, it to attach one of those spring bobbers on the end of your pole. I've learned to watch the line with having one of these on. And, watching the rod tip on very light bites.

It all depends on the species and type of "jig" or lure you are using.

In most cases think bouncing and lifting. The movement of the lure is only to attract. Since most species of fish move slower in winter, rip jigging is going to be useless. Fish suck the lure and the surrounding water into their mouths, you want keep it in their face. They don't suck as hard in the winter. grin.gif

One scenerio for "jigging" for perch... We bounce spoons with or without rattles. Bounce the rod tip with small wrist movements. Hold it steady. Nothing on the vex, bounce it several more times. Fish on the screen, hold it still. Fish still there, raise the lure slowly, fish follows stop. Slowly drop it back into it's face. Hold it.

I could go on and on. Let the fish tell you what the movements should be for the day.

Folks should invest in good rods. The days of a fiberglass rodtip stuck in a wood dowel are over. Folks should keep away from those flimsy noodly things too. I use a Cabelas XML medium power. But I fish 40 plus feet of water for 1 pound plus perch. I can feel very light hits with it. But there are days when I use a Grizzly Bear Series 36" light/medium with the spring bobber tip for extra soft bitters. This rod sees double duty as a dead stick.

This does not serve as an endorsemnt of these rods. I just like em. smile.gif

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Dave, the only hits I've ever had while jigging have been while the rod is resting on the ice. I'm trying to improve on that.

The spring bobber's seem to flimsy to use when fishing a heavier spoon or jigging rap style bait. But I am willing to give them another look.

It will be a few weeks before I'm out again, but I'm going to give jigging a good effort when I'm next out.

Thanks again.

I agree with kevin. You dont need much to put action into the bait. My very first experience with a underwater camera i was surprised how much the spoon was bouncing around after just a flick of the wrist. I have found on some lakes and certain fish are spooked by a ripping motion of a bait. Kevin thats funny about the old school rods. My favorite was a broken hockey stick and a busted rod tip......

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

kevin made a valid point, a lot has to do with the rod. Get a nice graphite rod that has a sensitive but not flimsy tip.

I like to use the "shaking" approach when I jig for panfish. I agressively jig until a fish shows up on the screen. By aggresively I mean 2 inch pumps up and down followed by 2 second pauses. Once a fish shows up, I like to shake the rod as if I am trembling. Small 1/4 of an inch movements. This immitates forage that is about to scoot away and fish love that. Baitfish tense up and then dart off and that is the technique that I am trying to mimic. Works well on crappies, bluegills, and perch.

Good Fishing, Matt.