• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Global Warming or What?

Interesting, Lundman.
How do you think we should go about getting people to "stop breeding like rabbits"?

Mandatory birth control? Mabye limiting families to one child, like communist China?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cyb

Polar Bear,

I am not making any scientific arguments or political based on a religious viewpoint. If you had read the thread you would have noticed I was responding directly to a post that disparaged the use of term "mother earth." I was merely poiting out that that post was inappropriate. Your "dismissal out of hand" is equally as disrespectful.

Perhaps I should have been more specific, I thought a reasonable person could infer from my statement that the reference to regional famine, disease, and water shortages would be exacerbated by continued climate change and would mark an increase over those regularly and naturally occurring disasters. They would however, be made worse by political instability also likely to occur as these problems come to fruition. Accepting unnecessary suffering as "the way life is" is both unjust and immoral according to any ethical/moral framework.

As for your refutation of the scientific evidence, well let me put it this way, when I've got to choose between Nobel Prize Winners and Dave Dahl (BTW he's actually on channel, 5 not channel four at least you could get that much straight) I think I'll put my faith in the Nobel Prize winners. The "Coming of the Ice Age" was far from representaive of the gloabl scientific community -- your analogy is dubious at best.

Finally, your suggestion that I am "breeding fear" to forward a politcal agenda is misguided. It is a great respect for my fellow humans and a fear that my children may inherit a messed up planet that is the basis of my politcal agenda. The emotion I wish to breed is righteous indignation.

Thnaks for your time though

[This message has been edited by SpikeRoberts (edited 01-23-2002).]

Make no mistake about it, I will respond, but the air is just getting to WARM in here!!! Global Warming??? I think not. smile.gif

GOOD LUCK!!!
Rusty

B as in B, S as in S

Let's end this thread and agree to disagree.Let's talk ice fishing.Plus I'm tired of one person thinking that he's far more intelligent than the rest.Must be some other venue that someone could solve world problems besides a fishing site.

Cyberfish,

I seriously doubt, unless we do as you suggested, that you can succeed in getting the human population in general to go against their instincts to procreate. The trick is, to get them to do it responsibly. I doubt that will happen either. That was my point, you can't stop it, even though that would, in my mind, solve some of the problems. I agree with whoever said the earth will protect herself. The population problem will, eventually, protect itself. I know this sound cruel, but, all those starving people? We do the best we can to save them. Trouble is, that is natures way of saying, there's too many people, they need to be thinned out. It's like, when the deer herd gets too big, and the existing food source cannot support them, they die off, for the good of the heard in general, until the population stabilizes. I also beleive this may be true of the modern plauge, the aids virus. Nature's way of compensating for the human race's stupidity, and irresponsibility. And that's another 2 cents worth.

Set the Hook!!!

Lundman

Cyberfish,

I seriously doubt, unless we do as you suggested, that you can succeed in getting the human population in general to go against their instincts to procreate. The trick is, to get them to do it responsibly. I doubt that will happen either. That was my point, you can't stop it, even though that would, in my mind, solve some of the problems. I agree with whoever said the earth will protect herself. The population problem will, eventually, protect itself. I know this sound cruel, but, all those starving people? We do the best we can to save them. Trouble is, that is natures way of saying, there's too many people, they need to be thinned out. It's like, when the deer herd gets too big, and the existing food source cannot support them, they die off, for the good of the heard in general, until the population stabilizes. I also beleive this may be true of the modern plauge, the aids virus. Nature's way of compensating for the human race's stupidity, and irresponsibility. And that's another 2 cents worth.

Set the Hook!!!

Lundman

I'm in agreement with those that wish to end this thread. I come to this HSOforum as a diversion from studying global warming all day. I've only responded to this thread because I feel it is my civic duty to do so. Sinker II, I assume that that you were referring to me as the person that thinks he is more intelligent than the rest of the members on this board -- I didn't intend to give that impression. There are obviously a lot of really bright people that participate on this forum --some of them more educated in particular areas than in other areas -- this just happens to be my area of expertise so I felt obligated to speak(and really nice people too, I've had the opportunity to fish with several of the members and enjoyed it very much smile.gif).
See you all on the lakes grin.gif!

I have read with interest and respect the various views on global warming.

After the Sept. 11 tragedy there was much reference to prayer and to God on this HSOforum, so I hope you will not be offended if I share my views also.

I believe the Bible is the only book, which tells accurately the past, present, and the future.

Genesis 1:1, states how our world began, it says "In the beginning GOD created the heaven and the earth". II Peter 3:10 & 11, tells how it will end, "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the work's that are therein shall be burned up. 11. Seeing then that all thses things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness".

Here is some more good news, Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the FISH of the sea, and the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth".

It is therefore my opinion that our duty and responsibility in this life is to treat GOD'S creation with respect and give Him glory and honor for His goodness to us.

Lively topic, some well thought out responses and/or opinions, interesting stuff.

I am very curios if anyone here on this thread has read the book "Ishmael"?

wink.gif

I believe or world to be a resilient one. I believe that the thought of some of these things being caused by humans is a bit extreme. The question I have is if it is all talk, then why are the talking about it, what is the motive. We are talking about how, but we should say, "Why". That I don't have the answer to, but I believe a lot of stems from the idea of "biocentrism". A world where man, fish, mosquito, spotted owl, canadian lynx, tree, and whatever, have all the same rights. There is no divine power. The problem they say stems from when we broke the contract with nature and became a cancer. This theory would be in direct contrast of the quotes Kingfisher presented, and also in contrast of the beliefs most of us were brought up with. So if you think you have no superiority over a mosquito, then I guess we know why we are being taught to despise ourselves.

Hi Kingfisher

I agree with you, I also believe in creation, and we are to take care of the creation and not trash it for future generations.
I reject the view that says we are just highly evolved animals that need nature (whatever that means) to control our herds like deer., and other new age ,pantheistic, mother earth, mother nature beliefs that tend to blur the distinction of Creator/creature

Best fishes

Cyb

www.gemfishing.org

Spike Roberts,I guess I didn't mean to come across that strong.My apologies.You sound like a sharp dude with alot going on.I guess we all have our own niche in the world.I just come on here for fun and thought the subject,though a very important one to all of us,had run it's course.Good Luck Fishing!!!

Sinker II, No offense taken wink.gif, I too probably have come across a bit strong.

Cyber fish, I looked at your HSOforum, sounds like you do some great work for kids, I bet they have fun fishing. grin.gif

Best of luck to all this weekend, and given the forecast for unseasonably warm weather, be careful out there.

Aw come on HtcheyeCatcher, don't be shy, post your 2 cents here wink.gif Worst that could happen is that everybody disagree with ya smile.gif Besides, how often are you in a boat all day and only talking about fishing?

Spike, thanks for stopping by. Yes we, (kids of all ages) wink.gif have a ball catching all those fish!

Best Fishes,

Cyberfish

www.gemfishing.org