• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help !!! Perch hints

Hi Folks, I need some hints on what to do when the perch are there but won't hit. I fish Lake St.Clair in Michigan. I usually fish the marinas and canals. Water depth 3 to 6 foot. How about some of your secrets. Thank You and have a GREAT SEASON !!!

You and me both cancanfish. frown.gif

Three to six foot deep of water?

I'll try whole minnows, minnow heads, perch eyes, waxies, you name, sometimes they won't go. Try a dropper rig. Use a rattle spoon and a 2 inch dropper line. Bounce the rig several times to call em in than hold it still. Fishing that shallow electronics might not be of much use. But if you have a flasher watch how the fish react to your presentation. raise it lower it, rip it, try several things. Take it as a challenge and experiment.

When I fish for pleasure I take it as a personal challenge to try to get finiky perch to bite. Who said fishing was fun!!! wink.gif

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

IKeep,

First of all these forums are a tool for people to ask questions, learn different techniques, and too just talk fishing. The whole idea is for fisherpeople to share opinions, what works and doesn't etc. You are more than welcome to share yours, but personal attacks will not be tolerated Period.

------------------
Paul
bobber.gif

[This message has been edited by Pwaldow123 (edited 01-20-2002).]

Very well put Paul!

Cancanfish,
My favorite way to fish perch is to use the new Angel Eye Jr. Spoon or the Scenic Perch Jigging spoon. Either are tipped with the head of a minnow or wax worms and jigged off the bottom. Be sure to bounce the spoon off to bottom as this will often times create a silt cloud that will attract fish.

Good Luck!
Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Jeff,

After fishing on Winnie and then this last weekend on Rush, I'm having a very hard time getting that song "Sweet little Angel Eye" out of my head. Please help as I need the cure grin.gif LOL

Order some more tonight

------------------
Paul
bobber.gif

Hi CanCanfish.
You need not listen to guys like ikeep.Perch are great fun to catch and challenging at times.Learning to catch all types of fish make a person a better all around fisherman.We just fished a tourney on lake Winnie where perch were the primary target for a lot of teams.I found that if I held the bait up a foot above them then gave a little jiggle(like you had the coffee shakes)this would entice a few into biting when they were in a nuetral mood.Good luck and I hope that the rudeness of one person does not give you a bad impression of what this forum is all about.
Ikeepnonslots
Personal attacks do not have any buisness here!Please keep your rude comments to your self!

this is a fishing FORUM! & last i seen this is a fishing sight, & PERCH are a game fish that are GOOD TO EAT! lets NOCK NO ONE!! I LOVE PERCH and most all game fish & I think most sport fisherpeople do also.. good fishin

[This message has been edited by ricbak (edited 01-20-2002).]

Pwaldow123,

I spent some time up on Lake of the Woods with the Angel Eye Jrs. this weekend and I had to sing the song a few times myself. Caught walleye, sauger and some huge perch up there with them. The suspended Walleye loved that gold one up there. It was a blast!!!

Like the saying goes, "It's driving fish crazy. The Angel Eye Minnow"

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Jeff,

I need, need, need, those little angel eyes. Gotta start stocking up on those bad boys for the URL event. Gotta put some of these guys in their place grin.gif I should have another supply of them in a couple of days

------------------
Paul
bobber.gif

ricbak,

You can order them right here from Fishing Minnesota. They sell them by the kit. In that kit you will get 12 Angel Eye Jr. Spoons. You will get all 6 colors availabe (two of each color). Soon you will also be a "Pretty Little Angel Eye" singer too. These things work great!!!

Jeff
Scenic Tackle.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Beckwith (edited 01-21-2002).]

Cancan,

Being mobile is key to most ice fishing, but especially perch fishing. Find an area and drill a bunch of holes targeting them fine tasting critters.
Once a hole goes dead, move on to antoher. Sometimes it is a hole only a few feet away!

Jim W

Cancan,

Being mobile is key to most ice fishing, but especially perch fishing. Find an area and drill a bunch of holes targeting them fine tasting critters.
Once a hole goes dead, move on to another. Sometimes it is a hole only a few feet away!

Jim W

JW is right on the money with his suggestions.

I believe mobility is usually, if not always, more important than what you have tied on the end of your line. When I'm perch fishing (or any fishing for that matter), I drill LOTS of holes (for perch, the holes don't have to be that far apart-->5-8ft) and keep moving. As for what to tie on the end of your line, perch jigs, tiny jigging rapalas, angel eye jr's, or plain hook---tipped with waxys, spikes, minnows, minnow heads, or perch eyes.

perchTime

mike

i drill a lot of holes and move around quite a bit
i was wondering what is the best way to drill holes
what kind of formations are the best
i sometimes do circles
figure eights
or just lines that curve
what has everyone had their best luck with??

LOLOLOLOL!! That was a good one Jim! I always drill my holes in in a semi-circle that then straightens out, then a skip some space and drill one more hole away from them. I guess it looks like this ?

If you drill them like this you will always catch fish, no matter what the bottom content, structure below, depth, water clarity, time of year, oxygen content or conditions outside!ScottS

Had a great time catching perch on Otter Tail and found fish all over. I cut lots of holes and moved around, but the real active fish and the biggest would really chase the bait way up. 4-5 feet in some instances. Some would chase it up on the way down. 10 of the real nice ones that I caught had perch in their mouths!!!! They really do eat their young. Perch are better tasting than walleye!!!

STAND IN ONE SPOT, DRILL A HOLE. THEN TURN AROUND AND DRILL ANOTHER ONE BUT A LITTLE TO YOUR LEFT. CONTINUE THIS UNTIL YOU CAN SEE THE FISH.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......