• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickup storage idea

Matt D

Here's an idea for you guys (and gals, sorry) that want a little extra storage space in the back of a pickup. FIRST, a buddy and I do a lot of bird hunting in the fall and we both have dogs that we haul around in large kennels. I've got a topper on my bed so access has to be from the back. I like to keep the kennels near the tailgate so when we get to where we want to hunt, we just drop the tailgate and "release the hounds!" Unfortunately, two lg. kennels leaves little room for guns, vests, etc. in the back. SECOND, in winter I do a lot of ice fishing and am always hauling my portable around. With the topper, I have to put the portable in first and then pile everything on top of it. But when it's time to fish, all the stuff has to come out before I can get at the portable to set it up. SOOOOOO... I stopped at the lumber yard and picked up two 2x8's and 2 sheets of OSB (cheaper than plywood; 1 sheet would work on smaller beds). Then I stopped at the machine shop and picked up four pieces of 1" square steel tubing. I set the 2x8's vertically just inside the wheel wells with 1" slots every couple feet, laid the tubing across the bed in the slots, and cut the wood sheets to fit around the wheel wells -- Essentially creating a false floor with 8" of space under it (you could use 2x6's or 2x10's based on storage requirements). I covered mine with cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. Now in the fall, kennels sit on top and guns and misc. can go underneath. In winter, the portable goes under while buckets, heater, rods, auger, etc. go on top. The bonus is that you can leave stuff underneath and folks can't see it (like say a $1100 side-by-side, etc). My topper locks, but outta sight means outta mind, and removes a lot of temptation.

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 01-11-2002).]