• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Fish Finder

Question

Do portable fish finders with the suction cup transducer work as well as the regular finders? I'm looking at getting a finder and it would be nice to have a portable one that I could take to my cabin and use there, but I just wanted to know how they worked before I spent the $.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

These work fine, but don't expect high-speed performance as you would with a "traditional" transom mount transducer. I have used the suction cup models for years (metro canoe, Canada trips, etc.) and have had good success.

my friends and I have used portables for years Hummingbird perfomed the best batteries lasted longer,and the backligt was
better at night.you can mount the transducer
on metal bar stock say about 2" wide 1/2" thick 18" long clamp it to the transom with
a C-clamp and u can adjust it up or down and
take it on and off without getting your hands wet or cold. You can drill another hole
at the top of the bar to secure the string if
needed

------------------
serenity Jack

If you want to use your sounder on more then 1 boat it's a good option. If you use the suction cup make sure you anchor the cable to the boat. If that suction cup should fall off when your on plane it will do the dog on on a chain act.

You can make any depth finder portable. Mount the finder on a box of some sort and use a 12volt battery. Mount the transducer as stated above. So, a labelled "portable" unit will work only as good as the unit's quality is.