• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Medium/heavy rod for lake trout & pike

I'm currently looking for a decent 36" - 42" fishing rod for lakers and pike. I currently own 2 ThorneBrothers Custom rods, a Walleye II and a Walleye Sweetheart Plus and I really like these alot. However, I recently discovered the Red Barn rods and they look decent too. I'm going on a wolf hunt and ice fishing trip next weekend in Ontario and I was wondering if Red Barn has a store or if any stores are carrying their rods? I don't think I'd be able to receive one in the mail by then. Thanks

------------------
http://it.dev/it_hdesk/emoticons/firdevil.gif

Red Barn's HSOforum says it takes about 10-12 weeks for delivery. As far as I know they are not sold in stores. Since you like Thorne Bros. rods try their Pro. Plus rods. They are offered in 36" and 42" in fiberglass and graphite. I got the 36" in solid glass and really like it. Good Luck

Galyans has a line of ice rods that are inexpensive and of decent quality. I used one for a Laker trip to ontario last week and it performed well. I think it is a Med Heavy action. I looked at the Thorne Brothers rods and they are nice, but do you really need a $50-60 rod for aggressive lakers and pike?

You should check out the Gapen "up north" line of rods. I picked up a 28" medium and like it very much. Got it at Streiff's near Warroad. they had some longer MH actions you might like. They run $30 - 40 dollars, and you get a lifetime warranty to boot!