• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Cedar Lake Fishing Reports

We braved the cold today, -15 degrees. It was still fairly comfortable though in my eskimo quickflip III. We had 4 adlts crammed in there, and one sunflower mr.heater was ggod for a while but eventually we fired up the buddy heater also.

The fishing was really slow, I went out by myself first for the first hour. I drilled a bunch of holes and scouted the area. I was predetermined to fish the edge of the main basin in 45 feet of water, but settled for muck in 38 feet of water, as I marked a few fish there but none in up to 42 feet. Good thing I had the Marcum, as fish came in between 32 and 24 feet. They were however, mostly unwilling to cooperate. We tried jigs, waxies, Crappies, Fatheads all with little success. The highlight was the 12 inch perch my wife caught. The in house photos look crappy, but I took some in-sink photos, hopefully they will allow me to post it. The thing had a huge belly.

I also pulled up a medium sized pike from a thermal tip-up, but didn't want to clean it, for lack of more fish.

We may go out on Sunday, but we are not sure. I think I would actually try shallower towards the main break and hopefully some weeds. I assume they would be at the same depths they were suspended at???? I was expecting them to be at the bottom in the deeper water, but sice they were suspended they should be comfortable at that depth anywhere in the lake??????

Quote:
Well, it wasn't the best weekend, with all the rain and really strong wind. I never even fished Red Cedar. The kids never wetted a line. I did venture out a few times with my rain gear into Balsam Lake though. I found a nice little spot where a flat extended out from the shore and it was covered with coontail. Caught 5 pike and a 17.5" smallie in about a half hour. Brought the wife out for an hour also and I caught 1 smallie 1 largie, and she caught 2 largies all between 11 and 13 inches. Then on Sunday morning I went out for an hour and caught 3 more pike and a 14 largemouth around a coontail point. The fish were non existent in the pads and I wasted a lot of time looking for a shallow bite. All fish came on crankbaits-- firetiger, and crawdad. It was too windy for (me to want to use) any slow presentations.

First of all, here is the smallie from this fall! I love the greenery in the background. The picture is taken from the dock in the channel. The fish was then released. Notice the rain?

175RedCedar.jpg

Hey im going up there in july and i was wondering how the fishing has been and what are some places to hit up and what types of things work. and also can you troll on this lake. any tips and tactics would help. thanks

smufishinkid07

Hey im going up there in july and i was wondering how the fishing has been and what are some places to hit up and what types of things work. and also can you troll on this lake. any tips and tactics would help. thanks

smufishinkid07

I am making our usual June trip again this year although a couple weeks later than usual. ORANGE HOOKS AND JIGS is my first tip.....I will know more when I get back.

Check out a couple of my other posts on this lake as well. It should give you a general starting point

Ok that sounds really good ya just send me a message or something when you get back that would be really really helpful and thanks for the tip him orange hooks thats interesting!! Thanks alot for the tips picks!!

smufishinkid07

fishing the humps at night on the north end of the lake. Also pulling lind rigs and jigs along the eastern shore by the resort, not stout island resort. They were shallow last year, this year will be different, unless the weather stays the same for the next 3 weeks. We used leeches, the bigger the better. and above all else, orange hooks and jigs, have never used any other color.

on opener, a buddy and I caught 20 walleyes on red cedar.....all between 14" and 17".....we had trouble finding them over 18"....

for the weekend, I think we ended up with 5 legals.....

When are you going picks? Gills should be on beds.

I talked to a guy who has fished Cedar on the opener for many moons and they caught several over 18". Too bad, I don't like eating them that big anyways.

we had to back it up this year a couple weeks, usually it is this weekend, but we are going june18th-20th. Weather will probably be the same as it was last year as cool as this spring has been. I think I have your maps still. I will email ya tomorrow from work

Looks like I can get off work early and head up this afternoon. Hopefully these rain fronts don't shut down the bite. I wish I had taken today off, and I'd be fishing right now.

Still no word from PBW, shallow, deep, neither?

Oops, sorry about my report

basically we caught walleyes in as shallow as 7 feet and as deep at 20 feet during the day. the evenings on the humps were only good for about 45 minutes and then nothing after that. We caught probably 40+ walleyes all about 17 inches, not one keeper for the 3 days of fishing. Of course we got rained off the lake everyday as well. orange/yellow/pink fire ball jigs were key for the walleyes.....

we did tie into a couple big bluegills on the humps one night. The smallmouth were not present at all. we only caught one smallie.

definately considering a different lake next year if the dnr doesn't change there regulations for Red Cedar...but we do like the lake, I just want to bring home some fish for dinner