• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

who would go to jail?

fishinphyl

Question

Last summer we took a friend and his daughter (she is 23) fishing with us. We assumed that they were legal. However, last weekend while sitting at our favorite watering hole he was telling someone that he has never had a fishing license. What happens if we get checked and he does not have a license? Do they just fine him or do they take it out on the poor person that owns the boat and has no idea what is going on? They are all excited about going fishing again with us this summer and I really enjoy them but not enough to get a fine for them.

------------------
Phyl

14 answers to this question

I dont know what a C.O. would do! But I think another ? remains. Would you "even" consider taking them fishing again ? They may have put you and your property in jeopardy because they cant part with a few dollars for the privledge of fishing. Then to bragg about it is the icing on the cake. I myself would feel ashamed of such a thing. I would rethink the word friend in consideration of these people. Only my .02
Good Luck

------------------
...Hail The Flashlight King....

I have to agree, how do you feel when he sits in your boat and catches more fish than you, or any fish for that matter? And here you sit paying for your privilege to fish. Essentially he is stealing from you and everyone else. Tell him to get one or you don't feel it is appropriate taking thief fishing in your boat.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 04-29-2002).]

Dont you just love it when friends put you in that position. Call them up and invite them to go again. Then make it clear they will need a license. I think you are feeling uncomfortable haveing to tell them they need to be legal. Dont be! Dont let it nag on you, call them and get it over with. smile.gif
Whats the worst he can do. Slip an onion in your sandwich? grin.gif
Good Luck, ST

Whoa..."Fool me once, shame on you..Fool me twice, shame on me"!
And you could lose your whole rig(boat,motor,trailer,equip,and even the vehicle you towed it there with + the fine) if the CO got real uptight about it!

the folks here are right. if those people don't have any more respect for you or the great resources in minn, let them sit home. tell them to buy a license and make them show it to you. del

I also agree, people that fish should always have a license. The question was whether or not he would get in trouble because of his friends stupidness. The CO's would ticket him, and you would be free to fish.

I agree with all of you! I just could not believe that anyone would risk going out without a license besides the fact that they are not paying their dues to help like all the rest of us are. They are not going with me again without one that is for sure. I just wanted to know how close I came to being behind bars. grin.gif But if he puts an onion in my sandwich that would be even worse! There just is not enough beer in the cooler to take care of that problem. Thanks guys!

------------------
Phyl

It depends on the CO. I know CO's that would at least attempt to make life miserable for both of you and have known others that would take the offender for a ride to get him a license, fine him and tell him to have a good day. The second scenario happened to a friend of mine a few years ago who, in the excitement of getting out for early season crappie fishing, made an honest mistake and just plain forgot to get his license.
If put in your position, I would simply explain to him that by choosing not to obey the law he is potentially putting your reputation at risk and that's just not what one expects from a friend.
Then I'd get the cell phone out and dial the TIP line to make sure he got the point.

I am not certain that you as the host are responsible for or liable for checking your partners for a fishing license?

They are aware they are fishing and therefore should reasonably know that regulations need to be obeyed.

It would appear to be more of a case of personal accountability then a case of fault of the host for not asking if they are in compliance with state regulations.

Guilt by association shouldn't apply if you are in compliance.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

If they were to tell the CO that you knew all along they had no license and have never had one, you may be liable for aiding and abeding in the unlawful taking of fish! Like the others have said, put it to them straight forward, no license, no fishing!!