• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garbage Police

Melon

I don't get it? How difficult can it be to pick up your dump after you leave the lake?

I was out yesterday and I found at least 6 beer bottles including the caps, bait containers, wrappers and lots of other trash just laying on the ice. Sorry but this is just something that really gets to me. I know others feel the same, but obviously there are some that just don't care.

PLEASE!!!! Take a moment and look around your fishing area and pick up the trash you have left behind!!!

I'm with you guys. Whether we're icefishing or fishing in open water I have seen it. I lost one of my best spring shore fishing spots because of pigs. For two springs I'd bring home a 5 gallon bucket of garbage other's had thrown. But they just kept throwing it and we all lost the spot. Just pick up after your selves. Leaving fish on the ice is also illegal and is considered wanton waste. Either offense will get you in hot water if your caught. But again I probably preaching to the choir on this one.

Not only garbage, but fish as well. Last weekend I saw three walleye laying on the ice where one shelter was previously sitting. They were not big enough to keep, so they just left them there.

It's amazing how it only takes a few to do alot of damage. I have a ranch here in Western SD with 5 really nice fishing dams. There are 2 things that drive me crazy:#1 People who think this is a State Park and don't ask to fish #2 ( the biggie ) When people leave their junk laying all around the ground and water.
I've never turned anyone away that asks to fish. As we all know responsible fishing is healthy for a dam. But if things don't change I'm closing the gates. Keep on the lookout for any of these A-holes and turn in their liscense plates.
Thanks for the post Melon, like Borch says "on this forum we're kinda preaching to the chior."

up north we have the same problems.There are pigs all over.I found the only thing you can do is every time i'm on the ice or water I try to pick up something each time I'm out it at least makes me think I'm doing my part

YUP...SOME PEOPLES KIDS! I PICK UP ALOT OF TRASH EVERY YEAR LEFT BEHIND BY PIGS, AT LEAST THE ALUMINUM BUYS A FEW LURES FOR MY SON. GLASS IS THE WORST THING....NOT GOOD FOR WADERS!
I KNOW OF A COUPLE OF GOOD SPOTS WHERE THE GATE IS NOW CLOSED!

HEY WATERBEATER...WHAT DO YA HAVE FOR FISH OUT THERE?
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

DITTOS - Emptying dead minnows on the ice or on the dock burns me. Sunflower hulls and cigarettes to. I have moved because of smokers upwind. How about fish guts at the landing so your dog can roll in em.

And how about the folks who use garbage to mark their spot? Some not so wise folks use spent 16 oz propane cylinders as markers. I wonder what one will do when hit by a boat at 50 MPH?

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Dont hesitate to call your local warden if someone leaves dump on the ice. Get a plate number, DL# from their shack, anything you can. Iam a smoker and put my butts in my empty pop can and they go with me. I can see leaving the sunflower seeds but the cig butts will end up on shore. And the folks that are leaving bottles and propane tanks, man you got balls fishing on our lakes. I hope i never run into one of you. The garbage you leave behind today, you'll be crapping it out tomorow. Thanks to the guy that picks up after these pigs... D-man

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Dark30,
We've got trout in a couple dams, and bass,crappie, and perch in a few others. The trout are about 22" and a real handful. The bass and perch are pretty typical though. How has your fishing been going? Mine has been pretty slow. Nice chatting with you and good luck.

It's embarrassing that there are people out there who call themselves sportsman, and then act the way the do. I can't stand people leaving dump on the ice. Two years ago I had a permanent on Green Lake in Chisago County, and that lake, like many others was filled with slobs. People who leave trash on the ice should get the dump kicked out of 'em. I agree with D-man, the sunflower seeds really aren't a big deal. Yes, they may look ugly, but they simply float to the bottom, and soon thereafter become the bottom. About the cigarette butts, next time you are sitting at a stop light look down at the ground. Even in midsummer, it looks like there's snow on the ground!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Rusty

I know exactly what you mean guys! These pigs act like our natural resource will last forever! They think nothing about leaving all of their dump behind. They probably conduct their normal everyday lives in the same manner. You guys opened up a can of worms on this one for me because there is nothing more that ticks me off than someone who has total disregard for our woods, lakes, and streams! The bad thing of it is that these people are not just fishing; but hunting, trapping and enjoying the outdoors in other ways. And everywhere they go they leave a trace of their sloth! If there is anyone reading this that is guilty of doing dump like this, get your head out your keister and wise up.

Make room on this bandwagon for me! The answer to the question is "it's very easy to take the dump home that you bring with you." I am an ex- smoker of 7 months but ALWAYS brought every butt home with me when I smoked whether I was in a boat or on the ice! Being a trout fisherman as well, it is also a grand experience to be standing in crystal clear, spring-fed water, with trees budding out and greenery sprouting up in the spring of the year and have worm containers, beer cans, and plastic wrappers float by! Anyone doing this... get a clue.. and get a head start, if I catch you doing it! I would also like to see some tickets written at the contests coming up. Just think, if only 5% of the people leave one piece of garbage on the ice at the Brainerd Extavaganza, that's 500 pieces of dump from one day!... And it may or may not stay in the water indefinitely.

I'm with everyone on this one wagon to. I have a permanant shack out on a local metro lake and people are always compelled to leave
their dump behind it really chaps my hide to see guys out leaving garbage on the ice. I have done my part & my fishing buddies to clean up others stuff & bring it home we have for the last 3 years kept a 30 gal. garbage can in one of the shacks and at least four times a year it gets dumped with other peoples %@$#^@. We have even gotten into verbal confrontations with guys who wouldn't pick up after their outing near our shacks, but thanks for the invention of cell phones & telling the sherrif where they were exiting the lake. It was great to see the looks on their faces when they returned to pick their stuff up after a citation. But I'll get off my soap box and let some one else rant.

SportFishin'

I hear ya all on the garbage thing! I posted on another topic about one method I use to curtail some of the garbage. If I see a house or a group of houses with garbage around it I will take a camera or video of the houses with the garbage and the house I.D. numbers. If they don't pick it up, I'll show it to the CO's. Most of the people are really good about taking everything off with them, but a few can wreck it for all!! Every year just before ice off I and a couple of other guy's who live on Big Kandiyohi Lake will go out on our 4-wheelers and clean the lake. I've got video from a couple years ago of the "garbage" we picked up. I don't like doing it, shouldn't have to do it, but I will to help keep the lake clean. Be Safe out there!

bigeyes, I found the regulation concerning "wanton waste" for ya,

MnFishing reg.s handbook 2001.
page 29 (middle of the page,just above the Ely,Mn. advertisement)

quote:

Any fish that is caught and will not be utilized must be returned alive back into the water. A person cannot wantonly waste a fish that is caught by leaving it or any usable portion on the ice,thrown up on the bank,or intentionally killing it and returning it back into the water unless authorized.

BTW,As far a the subject of garbage goes... on the opposite page(Page 28)
under General Restrictions/Other

quote:

Littering of any materials and depositing rubbish,poisonous substances,or chemicals harmful to aquatic life into public waters,onto the ice, or stream, or lake shores is illegal.Fish line and various packaging can be harmful to wildlife.

It pretty well sums it up.

The ones who are doing it , are breaking the law. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-10-2002).]

Bigeyes and All/ Please put all eel pout back into the lake. They really help us out on Mille Lacs and other big waters by eating bait-fish and keeping the population in check. I guess they are there for a reason. I knew of a guy that had a shack on Mille Lacs that left all his pout outside of his house. He got fined and then started shoving the pout under his shack. He was so convinced that if he released them they would sit on the bottom and keep eating his baits. Well the guy didnt shut his door one weekend or didnt close it tight enough to this day he doesnt know how the coyote got into his shack. But it did and it after ripping up the house trying to find those pout it urineated all over everything. The bunks and carpet had to be replaced... And pout are good eating. Just have to boil them in crab boil..

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

As far as slobs go, I say $^@%-em, call it in, report there sorry @ss's.

We should fallow them home and dump Sh!t in there front yard and see if they like to look at that every day.

I won't hesitate confronting a slob or reporting them. If we don't they will never change.

If you have a particuler lake or area that sees a lot of slobs try this. Post a sign saying "SPORTSMAN'S WATCH, WE ARE WATCHING FOR LITTER & WAIST!" Add a tip line number and see if it helps.

See how a good dose of paranoia works on them slobs once. But do what you say, call them in when you see the slobs at work.

We all could do a better job keeping out lakes and streams clean but slobs just have no clue, they need reinforcement to take responsibility for there actions.

I have "0" tolerance for slobs in the outdoors, indoors it's there worry not mine.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

As far as removing eel pout from the lake, I heard a DNR biologist explain that by removing big eel pout, you just open up a niche for several smaller eel pout. I guess I'd rather catch a big one now and then rather than have 10 smaller ones to bother me.

Amen to that! People that leave litter (trash or small fish) on the ice or shore should A) stay home and watch sports on TV, B) have their fishing equipment confiscated and redistributed to responsible anglers like us and C) suuuuuckitttt!!! That's just my opinion though.

I heard a rumor that the DNR on occasions will take GPS marks of houses that area "permanent" and then return to check the area after the house is removed to see if garbage was left.

How about people that leavethe wood blocks that they use to support their house with? I always take an axe out when I'm moving the house.

HEY WATERBEATER........I'D BE INTERESTED IN COMING OUT THAT WAY THIS YEAR SOMETIME AND DOING A LITTLE EXPLORING. MAYBE YOU COULD LET ME IN THE GATE AND SHOW ME AROUND? HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM THE YELLOWSTONE RIVER? MY E-MAIL IS ON THE CATFISH THRED.

ABOUT LITTER...I WAS DOWN CASTING ONE EVENING BY THE MINNESOTA. TWO GUYS COME DOWN AND SET UP A BUNCH OF CANS TO SHOOT AT...NO BIG DEAL BUT THEN THEY DECIDE TO LEAVE WITHOUT THEM! I SAID "HEY! DON'T FORGET YOUR TRASH!" WELL I WAS UNARMED BUT THEY CAME BACK AND COLLECTED THEIR TARGETS AND LEFT WITHOUT EVEN SAYING THANKS FOR BEING CONCERNED!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Maybe the creel census guys should be able to hand out tickets. I hate it when people leave their dump on the ice. Or at the least maybe they could leave reminder papers to pick the garbage up if the house is moved. Just an idea!