• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Largemouth Bass Ice Fishing?

I am new to ice fishing. I open-water fished this year at a small farm pond that had some huge bass. I was wondering if it is worth going after them through the ice?

If so, what tips/techniques/bait/equipment would you recomend?

Any help is appreciated.

I would go to the deepest hole in the pond and put tip ups out with 5"+ shiners. I've caught more bass on shiners in the winter time than on anything else.

[This message has been edited by AWH (edited 01-09-2002).]

Good luck!! Here is my little experience with Bass. Smallies through the ice I have had good luck. Large Mouth, caught my biggest ever through the ice, on a tip-up fishing pike, last ice, shallow water.

I really got into the Large Mouths one winter on a lake in 26 ft of water, about 3 feet of the bottom. I was of course looking for Gills when I found them, but my wife and I had a blast pulling up nice large mouths from the bottom one after another. On this particular lake they are in the same spot during mid winter every year. Not sure what the pattern is, just thought I would share that experience with you.ScottS