• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater Problems

AWH

Does anyone else have problems keeping their Mr. Heater running on the Low setting? My heater would quit if you would even turn it down to Medium. So I was forced to run it on high continually. I thought it was my heater since it was getting up there in age.

However, I just hooked up a brand new Mr. Heater to my propane tank the other day. I can't run it on Low without it quiting. I can only run it on Medium for about 30 minutes before it quits. So just like my old heater, I'm forced to run it on high if I want any heat.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? And how can it be corrected?

Thanks,
AWH

I haven't had this problem. Mine is that once it has run on a setting for a while it is gonna run at that setting no matter where you set it, except off. Also my smaller one only works on high. I think it may be because I ran it off my 20 lb tank once but don't know.

I have 3 different 20 pound tanks that I run my heater on. I have the same problem with all 3. This problem just started for me about 3 or 4 winters ago. Prior to that, my heaters worked fine. So it wold make sense that there could be something wrong with my propane tanks. But with all 3? How do you know if there's air in the tank? And how do you get rid of that? The problem always persists, even after I get my tanks filled.

AWH

I have two Heater/Cookers and I replaced the origanal control valve with one that is more adjustable, screws in screws out instead of the hi med lo. Coleman makes the valve as part of a kit for converting gas camp stoves to propane. This valve gives much more control over the heat.
I also bent the thermocoupler in as close as I could.
If it's getting alot of wind that can cool the thermocoupler also.

I would have to bet on the thermo coupler also. I had one once that acted like that and I replaced the coupler. it worked fine after that. The idea about bending it back in toward the burner is a good one too. This sometimes helps. I run the same heaters on 1#, 5# and 20# tanks and it makes no difference.

Hi, I have had problems in the past of this sort. Have any of you tried replacing the thermal coupler or bending it in closer to the face of the heater.If it is not keeping the thermal coupler hot it will shut down the heater. You can buy them at any Furnace shop and they are cheep. It also may have a crack in the line if it got hit or bent. It worth a try and if the heater is older it wont hurt to have a new one.

hope this works or helps,
shorefisher

It might be that your thermal couple is not close enough to the burner. Sometimes they get bumped and need a little "adjustment". What you can do is push the end of the thermal couple towards the face of the heater. The thermo couple is attached to a tab on the heat reflector, what you will be doing is bending this tab a little bit. Worth a shot...

------------------
Cross thier eyes!