• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mystery Minnows????

FishNTime

Hey all. I was at the Bait shop a couple weeks ago and they had some very interesting looking minnows. I dont Know what they are called but they were about the size of a crappie minnow, but they were orange like a goldfish. Anyone ever hear of these things before? I did by a scoop but didnt get to try 'em. A friend sort of fell through some thin ice next to shore and the minnow bucket and the mystery minnows ended up in the snow bank....all in all -$3.50, wet feet, a good laugh!!! Ahh well!

they got them at frankies in chisago,i think
they call them rosies,mixed in with crappie minnows or fat heads,used the a little last year with mixed results....

They are, indeed called Rosy Reds. I've used them on perch on Winnie, did not notice any difference. But, I only used them on two occasions, so, can't say as they have been tested completely.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

The minnows you're talking about are just called albino crappies at my local shop. They are twice the price, but they're not any more effective in my experience. GOOD LUCK!!!

Rusty

The ARE fathead minnows (aka "crappie minnows") -- Pimephales promelas. They're just a color variant that's selectively bred for use as bait. Probably came from some fish farm; I doubt you'd ever see one in the wild -- unless of course someone dumps their bait in a lake! (remember this is a no-no)